News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Who wants a fork brace?

Started by vavision, March 30, 2006, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

Decided to cut a new thread on this to gauge interest. I took the dimensions from http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=3998.0

and motorplows website drawing http://motorplow.blogspot.com/2006/03/daytona-fork-brace.html

Sent all that to my machinist and this is what he told me.

Aluminum is not a problem to make the braces out of.  As you can see in
the quote, the material will be about $17 per assembly, and the quantity
would have to be in the realm of 40-50 units for me to receive a bulk
discount on the order.  I have priced the order at 10 pieces. 
Understandably, it would be slightly higher for just one (but the
delivery time could be faster).  I can cut a discount of 10% if you were
to order 25 or more units.  I could discount it a little more, if you
had a very large order (50 or more units).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Matt

I emailed him to see how much extra it would cost to have Yamaha or Vision engraved on the top. Anyway- add maybe $10 for shipping (not at all sure- looking into that too) and we get a rough price of $27.

What do you guys think?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

vavision

Ok- never mind he sent me the wrong qoute. His price per brace at 10 is 75.33

Makes a bit of a difference  :-[
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

don_vanecek

Just for comparison purposes, I have a, I will guess 1987 price sheet from a company called Stuart Cooper, or Dyersburg Cycle Corral, an they had A-T-K fork braces for $64.95. So that was in 1987 dollars. I should got one back then. The price quoted you maybe as good as its going to ever get, but I don't really know. I'll watch for further posts on this.   

Mutt

Quote from: don_vanecek on March 30, 2006, 12:06:58 PM
Just for comparison purposes, I have a, I will guess 1987 price sheet from a company called Stuart Cooper, or Dyersburg Cycle Corral, an they had A-T-K fork braces for $64.95. So that was in 1987 dollars. I should got one back then. The price quoted you maybe as good as its going to ever get, but I don't really know. I'll watch for further posts on this.? ?

There was about 5 braces that went up for auction on ebay about 4 or so weeks ago. They went for approx. 65 each plus shipping. So the price is in that neighborhood.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

don_vanecek

Mutt, I'm just wondering, where would the braces on Ebay even come from, bikes that people have junked? I can't believe people just bought these at one time, never used em and now are selling them. Are they still available commercially but at prices more like 150-200 dollars. Just courious if you know. Perhaps I need to reread old posts on this, huh?   

Lucky

those K & l braces were all from one guy, (name escapes me) who had a ton of them for a while, he was selling them on Ebay about one a month for something like 2 years.  they were going 'buy it now' for $35, i got one.  he ran out last year, but earlier this year ran accross 5 more, that was the recent auction mutt mentioned, for about $65, so $70-$80 is probably reasonable, it's better than $120...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

I would pay 65 or so if it included shipping.

Mutt

Wooohooo! With this post I became a senior member! So now I get senior benefits?  :-\

YellowJacket!

that price is reasonable for me too.  If you go for it, count me in.
  David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

smknjoe1964

If it all works out , count me in for two of them !

MotorPlow

Mutt.
It's easy to take the fork brace off and on... Remind me at Deal's Gap, I will bring the allen wrench and we can swap the fork brace to your bike so you can feel the difference (Or lack there of, if that's the case).

~MP

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on March 30, 2006, 04:24:51 PM
those K & l braces were all from one guy, (name escapes me)

(Vintjap)

MotorPlow

That's who I got mine from, but mine is a Daytona.

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on March 31, 2006, 12:29:48 PM
Mutt.
It's easy to take the fork brace off and on... Remind me at Deal's Gap, I will bring the allen wrench and we can swap the fork brace to your bike so you can feel the difference (Or lack there of, if that's the case).

~MP

Cool, then I can just mail it back to you when I'm done with it!  :D

Mutt

Mutt

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on March 31, 2006, 12:51:49 PM

(Vintjap)

I sent him at least 3 emails and he never responded so I assumed he was either out of them, or he didn't want to be bothered any more. I  never got a non-delivery email so I'm pretty sure they went through.

Mutt

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Mutt on March 31, 2006, 04:27:31 PM
Quote from: coilXZcoyle on March 31, 2006, 12:51:49 PM

(Vintjap)

I sent him at least 3 emails and he never responded so I assumed he was either out of them, or he didn't want to be bothered any more. I? never got a non-delivery email so I'm pretty sure they went through.

Mutt

Yeah, I tried the same with the same results.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

Actually the email was more like vintijfan or something like that. I didn't want to bug him anymore just in case he came across some more and decided I was too big a pain in the ass.

Mutt

Extent

I thought 45 - 50 was a good price, 70 is a little higher but still perfectly reasonable.  Someday I'm sure I'll want another one for a second V, but who knows when that may be.

I've been working on a solidWorks model of the Daytona brace (some of those curves of the casting are a little beyond my abilities to do) but I do have one other dimension that I thought was pretty important.  The forktube is 55mm, but it's not cut in half for the clamps.  The inner piece is is 27.2mm to center, and the outter clamps are 27.4mm to center.  That leaves a .6mm "space" that's cut out.  According to the paper I got in the box the bolts are torqued to 7ft/lbs (was actualy 12 ft/lbs crossed out and 7 written in)
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

thekid

I would love one!!! Please let us know if/when you'll be getting them!
Ride It Like You Stole It!

jasonm.

Motorplow, the Daytona brace is junk. It has no adjustability for variation in manufacturing tolerances of the Vision's fork spacing. Without the adjustability the forks can binde. The ATK or the one on Ebay that said "FORGED" on it have the proper adjustments.  Hate to sound pessamistic and burst some bubbles...But I have been around long enough to remember the problems of the Daytona brace.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

MotorPlow

Quote from: Mutt on March 31, 2006, 04:25:10 PM
Quote from: MotorPlow on March 31, 2006, 12:29:48 PM
Mutt.

~MP

Cool, then I can just mail it back to you when I'm done with it!? :D

Mutt

Oh, I am taking your front wheel as collateral.