News:

Main Menu

Its alive again......Kinda

Started by crackerkorean, April 04, 2006, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I replaced the battery and got the bike turning over.
HAd to put it on the charger to top it off. Once topped off it started the bike right away. It ran for a few minutes and then died.

Then I have had a hack of a time trying to get it to run again.

I guess its time to tear into the carbs and get those tuned. Since I have never done it I am not really looking forward to it.

Lucky

Cracker, save yourself time, money & grief, diagnose it before you tear into the carbs!  while it might need a good carb cleaning, that might not be the problem & it could still do it after your done, because it sounds like fuel starvation...

Check the fuel filter first, if it's cloged, your carbs may be clean, but your tank dirty. spend the $$ on a POR kit instead. if you've already done the tank (i lose track of who's done what) & the filter is clean, then run it till it dies, then pull the gas cap, put it on "Prime" wait 2-3 min & try to start it.  if it runs then your vent in the cap has failed.

Check for spark

cut the rev limiter wire.

try bypassing the side stand relay.

look for a cracked/loose YICS hose

usually a dirty carb won't kill the bike all at once, it'll sputter & perform poorly for a while before the bike dies. we're talking days here, not minuets.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

The carbs have never been done. And I am having a problem with the choke ( I dont have one at all). And I am sure it needs a cleaning.

I will check the fuel filter.

I will never POR a tank again after my first experience I would rather pay somebody to do it but I need a new tank the one I have kind of holds fuel.

Anybody have a good tank they want to sell. The one I got is useable.

I gotta take the spark plugs out, probably still the orginals.

Side stand relay is gone.

no YICS, still need to get anohter one and fix try to attmepe to fix it.

The bike turns over just doenst fire.

YellowJacket!

cracker, there was a tank with petcock listed on ebay today.  looks pretty good.
I have an extra "parts carb" for sale as well as a leaky but fixable YICS.  If you want, I can sell you the whole carb or just the choke assembly.  If you need the choke lever, I have one of those too.
PM me if you are interested.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)