News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Leaky floats?

Started by dchakrab, April 06, 2006, 02:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Dion says his bike's got leaky floats.

So...how do I fix a leaking carb float? Is this just a case of buying a carb rebuild kit and replacing gaskets, etc (and how much are those...same price range as the petcock kits? Easier to find?).

Just thought I'd get an idea of the job before I buy...
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Extent

Leaky floats?  sounds more to me like a float is stuck and it's overflowing.  There really isn't much for it to leak out gasket wise if it's at the proper level.  A rebuild kit might not be necisary (just nice) since I would think all you need to do for a fix is an inspection and cleaning.  I'll let the experts give you a solid answer tho.

And if you do get a kit, remember you need 2, one for each carb (front and back)
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

Extent is correct. the inlet needles are leaking & if it's comming out the overflows, so is the petcock.  a cleaning should take care of the needles, if not they are even ava seperatly from the kit.  if it's the petcock, 82 kits are ava from Keyster, & I can rebuild the 83's.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Dava,
Petcock & Carb' Kit's are available on e-bay as bid or "buy it now" item's........ :)

YAMAHA XZ550 PETCOCK REPAIR KIT
Item number: 4628391547?

? ? Starting bid US $19.00? ?
(Approximately C $22.08)? ?

"but it now" price:? US $22.50? ?
(Approximately C $26.14

Shipping costs: US $2.50
Other (see description)
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Kitchener, ON, Canada
History: 0 bids

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

MotorPlow

That all depends... Is it leaking while it is running or is it leaking when it's not running? Leaking while running is a stuck float or needle. Leaking while not running is probably a leaking petcock.

Try this:
http://motorplow.blogspot.com/2005/04/thank-you-mr-murphy.html

dchakrab

Thanks a lot, guys...will ask Dion, or just wait and see for myself in a few weeks.

Incidentally, he says all the internal parts from the petcock were taken out to get it to flow better, so if I take any of the tubes out all the gas will run out of the tank unless I siphon it out first.

To me, this means I need a Lucky-rebuilt petcock, right? So I'll save up another $50 or so.

He said the tank hasn't been treated, and that this should probably be done soon, so it looks like I'll be figuring out how to treat both tanks at the same time (one from the old Vision, and this one). So figuring out how to get the gas out of the tank is probably going to come up sooner rather than later.

D.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.