News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

RAIN SUCKS!

Started by hfarley, May 15, 2006, 10:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Well since the car is in the shop the only way I had to get to workltoday was the Vision.  I picked up a new front tire for the bike on Saturday. After being up on Saturday until 1:30am preparing the food for my Mother's day dinner that I had at my house on Sunday and then getting up early on Sunday to finish prepping food before people got there I was exhausted! I then had a bunch of people over, we ate really well then I had to start working on the bike. Well at 8:30pm last night I started to swap out the tires. First time I did it all by myself so it took me a few minutes longer than it should have but I did it. Then I was trying to get the multimeter to work but it wouldn't. I realised that I need a fuse that it had blown. Off in the car I went to find a fuse at 9pm on Sunday night. Well, I finally ended up buying a new multimeter at Home Depot. Got home was so tired I couldn't see straight. Went to bed and got up this morning to torential downpouring rain. I decided that I would just bring my charger to work and plug the bikes battery in so that I could get home and wouldn't have to worry about the charging issue since I didn't fix it last night.
Well I have ridden in the rain but not like today. I could barely see at times but I will admit even though I was freezing by the time I got to work and my clothes are a bit damp I still had a bit of fun riding the bike. I am hoping that the rain isn't too hard tonight when I go home and that my clothes dry out before then. LOL! Overall though I would much rather be riding in the sunshine. Oh and it stopped raining temporarily after I got to work. It figures!
-A wet Heather ;)
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

Aren't motorcycle commuting stories great?

Congrats on getting your tire mounted.  Noticed all the rain you folks out East are getting.  We're dry out here.  The only real weather we've had since last fall is wind & lots of it.  Way below normal for snow  & rain.  At least the mountains got lots of snow so the reservoirs will be full by mid June when most of the snow is melted.

Stay dry & warm!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Heather, i can see this thread going downhill fast!......
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

i just have to keep my big mouth shut.   
  Batgirl and rain??/     darn it all,,,,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Serendipity

(bowing before HFarley)  I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!
Riding in the rain (on purpose), swapping the tires??? (C'mon I can change a car tire with the best of them, but actually removing the old tire from the rim and putting on a new one? I'm not saying I couldn't do it, but I certainly don't know how yet)....Rock on girlfriend!!!

Now about the dinner thing.....if you're tough enough to do all that....you should have gotten someone else to cook dinner on Mother's Day! LOL

I am so itching to ride my girl to work....but I have to drop my son off at pre-school on the way in and Tailwheel works in the opposite direction. Ugh. *However* he did promise to help me work something out so that I can ride in on Ride to Work Day. :)

zore

If it makes you feel any better, I ride every day, rain or shine except when it snows, hails, rains actual cats and dogs and so on.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Coil Coyle

Heather,
               I like riding in the rain.

I don't like working on a bike in the rain though.
8)
coil

Lucky

I don't like being cold & wet, one reason i'm moving south, but, every once in a while i'll take the bike out in the rain on purpose. why? to hone wet weather riding skills. it's a different skill set and it's something that should be practiced because at some point you could get cought in an unexpected rain storm.  also, if you think picking up a bike is no fun, try doing it in the rain...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Heather,

I know the feeling, kinda.  My car is  not roadworthy right now either, but I still ride the Beast everyday rain or shine.  I'll be swapping of to the V once it is all back together.  I have Gortex rain gear and a face shield on my helmet so I stay dry and I am also warmer on mornings that it is raining because the Gortex cuts down on the wind.  The only time the bike is parked is if I am working, sleeping, eating, or working on it.  If I didn't ride the bike in the rain I wouldn't pull it out until mid June.  Up here in Maine (or the northeast in general) is rainy about 80% of the time thru April and May.  The only really good weekends seem to be on Drill Weekend for the Guard. ;D  It always seems to work out that way. >:(
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

George R. Young

A couple of suggestions beyond rain suit.

Rubber boots, put the leather things in a plastic bag and keep them and your feet dry.

Rubber gloves, two varieties. Thin ones for warm rain, 3 mm neoprene kayak paddlers for cooler wet weather. Pre-curved to fit handlbars (and paddles).

h2olawyer

Rain isn't too bad but HAIL REALLY SUCKS!   ;D

As for the neoprene gloves, they may be OK for some wet weather use.  I've owned several pair for whitewater sports and they can do a decent job of keeping your hands warm.  However, they are designed to work like a wetsuit.  To be at their best & warmest, they require a thin layer of water to be trapped between the neoprene and your skin.  The neoprene gloves I'm familiar with are not generally waterproof, but they do have some marvelous grip surfaces!  I've never been colder in my life than when wearing a dry 5mm neoprene wetsuit in 40 degree (F) weather.  It's why I bought a dry suit for cool weather rafting.

I'd recommend some motorcycle specific waterproof / breathable lined synthetic (or all-weather) leather gloves for rain riding.  You will have drier hands than with most neoprene gloves & your hands won't get nearly as clammy.  You can find them at many on-line shops for around $40 - $50 a pair.  If you should happen to go down in the rain, the neoprene will fall apart immediately while the leather - or synthetic leather ones will give you some protection from the asphalt.  Remember, "dress for the crash, not the ride" applies to all weather conditions.  Also, the leather gloves will last much longer than the neoprene ones.

Don't mean to put down any good ideas.  I used to be a firm believer in neoprene.  Still am in some situations.  I just feel there are certain times other materials are both superior & safer, while costing around the same amount - or even less in the long run.

Just my $0.02

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Cheap tips for the unprepared when faced with unanticipated cold and or rain:

To keep your feet and socks dry when your shoes arn't really waterproof, stop at a grocery or similar store and aquire several plastic grocery bags(paper or plastic?) or plastic vegetable bags.  Take your shoes off and place the bags over your socks.  Put your shoes on over the plastic bag.  If you got a rubber band, use it to hold the excess bag up around your ankles.  The more durable check out bags work best.

To keep your gloves dry in the rain, while wearing the gloves, place a plastic bag over each hand and drive on to your destination.  Again, a rubber band can be helpful.  Put the excess bag up/over your e your jackets' wrist opening and secure it there with the rubber band.  Helps kkeep the wind and rain out. Throttle control can a little slippery.

While at the store, aquire several paper bags or some newspaper.  Place the bags or newspaper on your chest just under your outer jacket.  Makes an excellent wind/draft barrier.

You will look strange using these tips but you will also be more comfortable.  Your choice.