stator poll

Started by bikehandle, December 03, 2004, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

What stator is better?
Ricks verses Electrix ? Why?
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Rick G

I think it depends on which one you just bought! I have a Eletrex and I'm 100% satisfied  (so far).
Others have Ricks and are convinced their better.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

You forgot the other choice: Yamaha.

I have a stock stator & R/R in the bike. With the R/R moved to the pass peg, and the r/r harness, everything's happy.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

I vote for Rick's.
  this is mostly a result of warranty and customer assistance .
rick's winds the stators they sell, they do not buy them from discount winding firms , so the consistancy is there as well as reliable quality components.
   i have bought both dealer's stators, ,nothing but problems from electrex,and nothing but results from rick's.(for my vision and several other bikes belonging to friends )

this is not to say one is really any better than the other, i just prefer to buy from Rick's.  i guess the best stator is really the best you can get with money at hand coupled with a careful installation.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

supervision

I have had new yamaha, used yamaha, eletrix, and now I have a used honda . I also have a used honda reg mounted in a cool spot. I also hooked my sence wire direct to battery. I found that when I hooked the sence wire to the standard switched wire on the harness my bike would overcharge and as soon as it was direct to the battery the regulator would work at a perfect 14.5 volts     Dave
" border="0

George R. Young

My experience is that every 5 years or 25000 km whichever came first, the stator would short to ground. The first 3 were Yamaha brand, the 4th was a no-name rewind.

The regulator was always fine and after the stator connector melted and was replaced with automotive spade clips, they stayed happy too. The connector melt was unrelated to any stator failure.

redxz550inoz

according to the GS suzuki forum darling hubby is a member of, Ricks and Electrex are pretty much the same. Both suppliers will use the others product if out of their own.

so I guess that's good news for everyone  :D

bikehandle

Thanks youall!
I bit the bullet and went through dennis kirks and got a new stator and R&R from ricks. I will say that the stator looks crude as hell compared to the stock one! While I was at it I ordered a new waterpump seal as I was getting some weeping from the weep hole. so if the weather warms up a little I should be in good shape for spring!!
Bikehandle
(Now watch something else go wrong!) ::)

George R. Young

Quote. . .new stator and R&R from ricks. I will say that the stator looks crude as hell compared to the stock one!. . .

If crude means not epoxy encapsulated, that may be a good thing, allowing better cooling. The no-name rewind I put in last had no encapsulation.

bikehandle

Sounds good to me George! It looks like some one dumped a bowl of noodles on it!
I did get it back together tonight and fired it up only to find the headlight is brightest at idle and goes dimmer with rpm. Just how it was acting before! I havent put a meter on it yet but have a bad feeling I just blew a couple of hundred bucks for nothing!(whats new!) Looks like I have a good stator and 2 r&rs extra anyway! :'(