News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Dual Rotor vs single

Started by zore, May 11, 2006, 09:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

For those with 82's who have done all the brake mods and then ended up going to dual disks, how big of a difference was it.  I have new pads, steel line etc, but the braking still isn't as good as i wish it was.  Did going to dual rotors make a huge difference?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Mutt

I still have the single disc myself with the SS brake line. The brake line was an improvemt but not by much. I would like to upgrade too. However, I would probably be more impressed than you because you have one of those fancy stoppie machines (monster). It has to be hard getting off the monster then comparing the Vs braking to it.

I was thinking about the fork brace thing for those of us who live in the straight and narrow world. It seems that a fork brace would help not only stabilizing the forks in curves but in a hard stop situation too. If I really bare down on the brakes at around 55 the bike will make a bit of a left hand drift. Fork twist?

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Superfly

The duals are nice, I am running duals on blackie, with SS brake lines, and a master cylinder from a FZ6, and the stopping is good (well... as much as to be expected from a single caliper brake).  But on my single, I rebuilt the Master cyclinder, and rebuilt the brake caliper, installed a SS line, and it stopped much better than before. 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

My conversion from single to duals was from the entire original single setup with rubber line to duals with stainless lines and a master cylinder from an 83 V.  Didn't have the single stainless line as a comparison.  The duals are much more responsive but I was never sure if that was due more to the stainless line or the increased brake swept area.  It doesn't stop nearly as well as my friend's GTS1000 (nothing will!) but it is a significant improvement over the single rotor.  Also, bleeding the brakes properly is difficult, but that makes a huge difference as well.  Speedbleeder(s) and a vacuum source to pull the fluid through the system worked well for me.  I use a large veterinary supply syringe & some tubing to pull the fluid through.  Cheaper than a "Mighty-Vac" and works well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.