News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Prime Shark!

Started by YellowJacket!, May 26, 2006, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well, I spent the day working on the Shark Fairing and it is coming along quite well.  I have it all primed and ready for paint.  I got all the gum and weather seal off it and cleaned the glass headlight cover to like new perfection.  I was very lucky that the rubber piece that holds the glass in place was in very good condition.
I used the recomended grinding bit to drill the holes in my windscreen that I got from Gustafsen Plastics ( www.bikescreen.com ) and the holes came out great.  My fairing bolts arrived today and I decided to go ahead and attach the windscreen.  Well, that got the ball rolling and I decided to do a full mock up fit before I paint it.  I also found some neoprene seal to make my own headlight seal which worked out great.  Anyway, here are some pics of the work in progress.

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Superfly

I always liked that fairing.
Cant wait to see the finsihed pics w/ the fairing on, curious to see it yellow.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Kevin

That will look good.Will the inside be a flat or satin black? I would use black plastic windshield bolts.They are avaliable through Dennis Kirk. 8) 

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kevin on May 26, 2006, 09:30:31 PM
That will look good.Will the inside be a flat or satin black? I would use black plastic windshield bolts.They are avaliable through Dennis Kirk. 8) 

The inside is going to be satin black.  Im trying to figure a way to do it without messing up the Yamaha labels in there.  Ill probably just tape over them.
I got "windscreen bolts" off ebay for a few bucks.  They are hex head bolts with nylon washers and nuts, but I'll look at the ones at dennis kirk.
One of the most difficult parts of the install was getting the brackets that mount on the former signal ears to line up with the holes on the windscreen.  Night Vision mentioned to try to use the nylon bolts but I could not find any.  The bolts that I ended up with fit perfectly though.  Lots of trial and error but I finally got them lined up and threaded.
I took it out for a short ride tonight and I really like it.  Im riding to work tomorrow and sunday weather permitting, so I'll get a better feel for it.

Take Care all,

David

kiawrench

dave tn --
    i ued to have a shark myself,, but moved up to a vetter quicksilver.
funny thing about the windscreen bolts -- they are supposed to be break away nylon,,, sort of strong as heck one way,snap off the reverse--- best buy in town,,,, a set of black nylon lic. plate bolts at wal mart or any auto store, 1.25 per set of 4 , with washers and nuts .

i have also changed the quicksilver bolts and hole size to use these same bolt and nut set ups. they are strong, able to hold tight at 90 mph or more, but break away on reasonable impact, allowing the screen to not go through your body in case the worst happens .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Bumble-Bee man lives!
Mey Gusto!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on May 26, 2006, 11:13:59 PM
Bumble-Bee man lives!
Mey Gusto!

Yum Yum Bumblebe, bumblebee.....um, oh forget it, thats tuna.  :-)

David

Paul_Jungnitsch

Quote from: DaveTN on May 26, 2006, 05:10:35 PM
I was very lucky that the rubber piece that holds the glass in place was in very good condition.

I'm thinking you ended up with the Shark fairing off my bike via Pojo. If so, the glass and that rubber piece are pretty new, installed spring of 2003. One of the those odd things that show up on ebay every once and a while.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Paul_Jungnitsch on May 30, 2006, 12:21:36 AM
Quote from: DaveTN on May 26, 2006, 05:10:35 PM
I was very lucky that the rubber piece that holds the glass in place was in very good condition.

I'm thinking you ended up with the Shark fairing off my bike via Pojo. If so, the glass and that rubber piece are pretty new, installed spring of 2003. One of the those odd things that show up on ebay every once and a while.

Yup, thats where I got it from.  I thought I remembered seeing this one too on ebay at one time.  It had the same crack ont the windshield.

David

Paul_Jungnitsch

The Shark itself I had on the bike since I bought it back in '87, I think the fellow I bought the bike from had got it that way from the showroom. I broke the glass like the first week I had the bike, slipping on wet grass when practicing for my drivers test. So that particular Shark has gone glassless most of its life.

haunter

its funny how parts travel on these things
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.