News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

'83 Honda Sabre, what are your thoughts?

Started by Pojo, May 25, 2006, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pojo

So I'm looking at buying and '83 Honda Sabre, one of the v45 family.

I know about the Cam issue, and possibly how to solve it, but there are only 22k miles on it, and I wanted everyone's opinion on them, if you've had any expirience with one that is, or any V45.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Dan

Tiger

:) NOT AS GOOD AS A VISION........ ;D ;D ;D :D ;)
however, Cam's apart ('scuse the pun) they're a good bike.....A buddy of mine has had his for a number of year's and swears by it....another buddy has just bought one two weeks ago and.....well still in the "Honeymoon" mode... ;D.
All depends on the usual things.....age, condition, mileage, etc, etc....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

vavision

The cams aren't as big a problem as everyone lets on. I have a v30 and v45 magna the v30 has 50k+ miles on it, no upgrade to fix it and no problem. I've heard that if you like peace of mind and you'd be ok with the $250 kit price then you should just fix it.

Great bikes though.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Mutt

Sabre was a bike I was looking at when I bought my GS 750 back in 84. Like the Vision though I couldn't
quite afford it. I do know of one other issue with it. There was a frame problem somewhere near where the frame meets the steering head. They had the tendency to form cracks. Be sure and check underneath the steering head. You might be able to google to see if there was a recall for it. Although I'm sure Honda wouldn't warranty it now, you can probably find the fix and have it done locally.

If the price is right for you, buy it. I would still like to have one.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

QBS

I once considered replacing my '83 V with a very nice Sabre V45.  Compared to my '83 V: Very smooth, large, heavy, top heavy, and no '83 V fairing.  It didn't feel all that much faster than my V, even though I know it should have.

glennw

come on it's a ...(gasp)... Honda...  ;)
Half Mad Max

Coil Coyle

A neighbor rides one. It's a kick to see him do a wheelie on the road.

1. The swing arm does a lift and throws him up from the seat.
2. The handlebars come up and the seat catches his ass on the way back down.
3. The wheelie wi8ll go on until the throttle is closed or the tailight hits the road    ;D ;D ;D

If you get one, look into more rebound damping in the rear.

$0.02

coil

Pojo

Well thanks guys,  But it sold right after I looked at it.   Sucks.

kiawrench

Pojo,,
   i dont know about you,, but a vision is enough of the early 80s for me.
  There are many good bikes out there, but the expense of gathering data and finding parts is getting a bit out of hand. My vision will never leave my possesion, but i wont buy another old bike.  And i wont buy a new one based on the ads again either, my star midnight came in a bit taller than the ads stated, and a good bit harder for a short guy to hold up,,, had to sell it since i couldnt ride it safely .
     but i would consider a 2002 v-star 1100, or maybe a 2003 intruder volusia .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

zore

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you can find an 02-04 Triumph sprint st, I garuntee you'll like it.  I've had mine just over 2 years and have 35,000 miles on it.  Not a lick of trouble other than a heated grip croaking.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900