News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

help with fixing the starter.

Started by dj, May 27, 2006, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Okay, I'll have to drain the oil out tommorow.  It is almost mid night here and my helper (wife) has already gone to bed about 1.5 hours ago.

I did check to make sure that the gear on the inside was lining up properly before I put the starter motor back on the bike, but I didn't think to make sure that the gear on the inside was turning.  I'll have to check that tomorrow.

Is there anything else I should check while I am at it?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

NV,...i don't even know what that means...

DJ, you need to now go read up on it on my site & review the manual.

it's starter clutch time again boys! YEEE Haaaw!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

I am not only working on this bike, but I am working on my other bike and my wifes car!!!  I'll go look at your site right now to make sure if there is anythig that I will need to purchase to fix the starter clutch and do the rebuild on it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

when you have the starter out, turn the gear inside the engine case that the gear on the starter engages. it should only turn in one direction & smoothly. if it turns both ways your clutch bolts have backed out.

dj

thanks for the tip Lucky.  I'll check that tomorrow and I'll probably be back online tomorrow night to make sure I am doing things right/ask questions about the next problem that will creep up once I get the starter clutch rebuilt :o
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

you WILL need:
3 new grade 8 bolts
oil
engine cover gasket
yamabond 3
flywheel puller
BIG hammer
a punch

and a couple of steel balls (for you, not the bike)

you MAY need:
clutch rollers/springs or a good used clutch assembly depending on if/how much the clutch is dammaged.

Night Vision

dj- get that turkey pan after your wife goes to sleep...

Lucky... seriously?.. commercial on TV? Rodeo Clown? never mind... I'll going to sleep right after Dallas wins

Dallas? Miami?... basketball?.. finals?

never mind.......
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Quote from: Night Vision on June 08, 2006, 11:39:05 PM
Lucky... seriously?.. commercial on TV? Rodeo Clown? never mind... I'll going to sleep right after Dallas wins

nope, doesn't ring a bell...

dj

Quote from: Lucky on June 08, 2006, 11:38:43 PM
you WILL need:
3 new grade 8 bolts
oil
engine cover gasket
yamabond 3
flywheel puller
BIG hammer
a punch

and a couple of steel balls (for you, not the bike)

you MAY need:
clutch rollers/springs or a good used clutch assembly depending on if/how much the clutch is dammaged.

Grade 8 bolts?? are these something that I would get at a hardware store or through yamaha?

engine cover gasket?? that sounds like something that I will have to order!

yamabond?? what is that, should I go to the local dealer for this?

how big on the hammer ??? - i have some hammers that I use for my blacksmithing that are anywhere from 3-8 pounds  ;D which one would you suggest?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

The bolts are obtained from your friendly neighborhood hardware store.  The gasket is available from Yamaha or for a couple more bucks, the Cometic gaskets are much better & reusable.  Yamabond 4 is the same as Hondabond 4 & Threebond 1104.  Motorcycle dealers & independent parts shops should have one of the brands available.

A 2 pound sledge hammer would be ideal.  If you have access to a compressor & air tools, you may not need the hammer.  I used the air gun on the flywheel puller & my flywheel almost fell off.  The flywheel puller is available from Sears or Harbor Freight.  I like Harbor Freight tools for things I'm going to abuse heavily, like pullers.  Not much money wasted when the tool breaks & they have a lifetime guarantee.  I'm more than happy to spend more on wrenches, ratchets & sockets I don't plan on abusing.  Nice to have a set that remains comfortable in the hands.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Okay here is the update.  I was working on checking the starter clutch.  I got the left side cover off and checked every thing out and it seems to be working okay, so I put the cover back on and put everything back together.  Charged the battery up and tried to start it, and still nothing.

So I took everything apart again to take another look inside, and when I took the left side cover off again the number 1 gear fell out and the metal rod labeled 2 was no were to be seen.  It isn't on the ground anywhere, I searched on the ground all around the bike for over an hour.  What I need to know is if it is possible for the rod labeled 2 in the picture could have fallen down into the small area underneath were it goes and fallen into the oil pan?  If so how do I tear everything down to check inside the bottom of the oil pan to see if the rod fell in it?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

you know the rod may be still in the cover..

if not, & you think it may be in the pan, get yourself a nice strong magnet on a stick at the autoparts store & pull it out.  i'm sure this must have happened to someone else in the past (i think i can still hear the swearing echoing...)

it's bolts number 7 that come loose, & you have to pull the flywheel off to check/fix it. they often will be obviously backed out or loose, but not allways.

--Lucky

dj

Okay, I am still working on this fix (starter/starter clutch).  I can't find the metal rod anywhere down in the oilpan or on the ground.  I am assuming that it just vanished into thin air when I wasn't looking. >:(

So my problem is now I need the shaft that is labeled as number two in the picture.  Does anybody have this part??  If not where can I find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

MotorPlow

DJ,
I don't know if I can help you or not. I've already robbed some parts from the spare engine when I did my starter clutch. When I get time, I will pull the side cover off the spare engine and see if it's still in there. If it is, it's yours.

~MotorPlow

Tiger

:) I have a one....... :o Let me know..... ???

;D      TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Tiger - I sent you a pm

MotorPlow - Thanks for the offer, but it looks like Tiger has one.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

dj- glad to see your back at it. I just re-read all the posts and one kinda caught my eye.

when Lucky said the metal rod may still be in the case.... did you check both the inner case AND outer case?
when I had the side cover off to do my stator, that little gear also fell out... but the rod was still in the side cover (case).

just a thought.... hope you get it sorted out soon
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rolle

Hi  dj.

One way or another You must find that metal rod that´s missing!
Why? 
If it is still in the engine somewhere it may cause You damage later on riding the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roland....
Take care and be safe on the roads!

dj

I got a better magnet on a handle so that I can check the engine again, but it has to wait until tomorrow.  We had some pretty bad T-storms here with really big hail.

NIght Vision - Thanks for the tip, I'll quadruaple check it.  That was the second place that I looked, I even looked under the stator to see if it got wedged in there, but it wasn't.

Rolle - I'll check the oil pan again and anywhere else I can find that it could have been.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!