News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Converting from '82 Carbs

Started by Arick111, June 02, 2006, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arick111

I am a motorcycle mechanic which helps me, but I could still use some advice if any one has tried this before. I have a '82 vision and I'm tired of messing with the carbs, so I was wondering if its possible to install the better '83 carbs on my '82. otherwise I was planing to convert to a single carb out the side as I've seen done before, and looking for tips. Although I haven't had the air box update but I herd it doesn't help that much with the horrible dead spot I have in the throttle. so if any one has some advice it would Be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ande

Tiger

??? LUCKY...... ??? Question for the carb GURU..... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Superfly

I have a set of 83 carbs on my 82, I like them MUCH BETTER than the 82 carbs.  You can fit the 82 airbox on there, but it sits real tight against the gas tank.  The 83 airbox is better, it has a indention on the bottom of it to allow for the extra bulk of the 83 carbs.  Modify the top engine mount bracket, and cap off the return line (that goes to the 82 petcock) on the 83 carbs.

But if you do the single side carb, that would be cool to.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

With clean, properly adjusted & synched carbs plus a solid, non-leaky YICS, you can eliminate the stumble.  Hope you already have the 83 carbs, they're made of unobtainium.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Arick111

Just wanted to say thanks to every one I'm new to the forum, and it seems like all of you are really helpful nice people. jesse I did see the bike at the show thats what made me think of doing that to mine. I think I have A Couple of pics of it. Let me know if you would like me to send them to you.

Lucky

you mean the "Apocolictic Bob"? ugg.. horrible ...

But anyway, H2O is right, with clean & correctly set up carbs, there should be no stumble.  you can get modified carb tops & airbox from used units, you can modifiy your own, or you could do the double nickle trick too.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tailwheel

We got Patti's '82 V working without stumble with a very much apreciated call from Lucky. I feel that with the help here you can get a set of '82 carbs to be reliable.
Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

Glyn

My Vision is running an IDF40  Weber downdraft carb. Had to make up new manifolds, junk the std airbox and YICS. Ended up with 32mm venturi's and it runs well with no flat spots. I'm sure a well tuned Vision carb can be made to work well, but I could never get mine to work after repeated efforts. I think 2 V Max carbs could be made to work well also. I couldn't source any for reasonable $'s however.

I'm no flash mechanic or engineer and the project just took lots of time and patience. It is probably the main reason I will never sell the bike since I have invested alot of "me" in it. I've got diags of the manifold construction if you (or anyone else) would like them. Note your e mail on this thread and I'll send them to you.

2VRoy

I have an 82 engine in my 83 Vision, with the 83 Carburators. This seams to be working so far, just get past the dirty Carburator stutters and I think it will be a blast. But the question is do you have a set of 83 carbs? Good luck with it.
Keep the rubber side down!

kwells

I'm thinking that the stumble on my vision might not be coming from the carbs but from maybe the need for a valve adjustment...I've dipped them and synched them but just have that stumble....What is the first adjustment interval?  I am at about 2600.

Kevin W
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

anpmech10

I would be very interested in some pics of the weber setup. I have a custom intake on my Intuder running a single 40mm Del'orto sidedraft. My email is in my profile
Thanks
1982 XZ550 with '83 Fairing
2000 VS1400 Chopper
1983 XJ750 Cafe Racer
1976 DT400 Enduro