You know it's time to store your bike when...

Started by Josh M, November 20, 2004, 07:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh M

Took the V out for a spin yesterday, and should have known something was up when it only had enough juice to crank and backfire.  But I'm stubborn and the weather was beautiful so I put it on the charger and took off as soon as the bike fired.  I went to the gas station and put some fuel in.  When I tried to start it again, all I got was slow cranking.
  Good thing the gas station is uphill from my house.   I bump started it and pulled into my garage.  It's now sitting with a battery tender, and I think it will sit there until spring.

Especially since it tried to strand me 100 miles from home last weekend..... :-X
shiny shiny....

Rick G

How old is the battery? , have you checked your charging system ? What about all the connections in the charging circuit?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Josh M

The battery's only about two years old.  I keep it on a battery tender over the winter.  I think it was just the cold weather and lack of maintenance, but I will check the charging system.  I would have thought I would get some charge going to the gas station......
shiny shiny....

silicon_toad2000

Have any of you tried those dry cell gel batteries, I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Rick G

Many times motorcycle batteries are only good for 2 or 3 years, yours may be at the end of its life See if you can find a motor cycle shop with a load tested (the one for cars is not suitablel.)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I have an Optima gel cell in my pickup.  Works great from -30F to 105F.  Can mount it in any position or angle.  Vibration does not affect it at all.  Truck starts quickly, every time.  No engine heater & it cranks over even in the coldest temps.  Also runs a Warn 9500 winch - pulls strong!  No idea how they would be for cycles but I think they'd be great.  Might try one if my current battery ever dies.

You know it's time to store your bike when . . . you have to move it outdoors to get to the snowblower to remove 5 inches of snow from the driveway!  (Sunday morning project  ::) )

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

I was once surprised to realize a hard to start problem was caused by dirty connections between the cables and the battery. There wasn't enough metal to metal contact to allow the proper amperage to get things going in cold weather. Cleaned the contacts (with sanding paper). Cheapest repair ever (roughly 0.000312 cent worth of sanding paper).

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Josh M

I tried starting the V yesterday.  The green light on the battery tender was on, but it cranked slow and wouldn't start.  It's a bit late in the season, but it looks like I'll have to add the electrical system to my winter to-do list.
shiny shiny....

h2olawyer

Josh -

Have you replaced the oil seal in the starter nose?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Josh M

shiny shiny....

h2olawyer

If the rest of your electrics are working well, that is a likely source of your slow starter.  Mine needed replacement with under 6,000 miles.  It wasn't turning slowly yet, but I took the starter off to check it after reading posts about the problem.  It wasn't quite full of oil but there was some inside.  It sure turned over better after I did the fix.

The seal the many of us have used successfully is a Chicago Rawhide #7917  (20x35x6 mm).  It is available from NAPA & probably other auto parts stores.  Make sure the replacement is a spring type seal.

H2O

QBS

MotorPlow

QuoteI tried starting the V yesterday. ?The green light on the battery tender was on, but it cranked slow and wouldn't start. ?It's a bit late in the season, but it looks like I'll have to add the electrical system to my winter to-do list.

My battery tender advises in big letters, "Do not attempt to start engine with battery tender attached to the battery.  Damage may occur to the battery, vehicle's electrical system and/or battery tender".   I just thought I would pass that along.  I've done it in the past with no ill effects, but I guess, don't advise doing it.

~Chris
Callaway, VA