idles good when cold, but when she gets warmed, shes a problem

Started by big_champ, June 08, 2006, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_champ

When shes cooled down and just started, shes idles nicely at 1000, but when the temp increases after say 10 minutes, idle get to 2500 and wont go back down.  My thoddle cable is not sticking because at stop lights i reach down to the carbs push the little thoddle arm all the way back to make sure shes back in place.  Im not sure what the problem could be.  Im thinking its the air mixture screws, the one on the rear carb may not be set to the best position, theyre both at 4.5 turns out.  Any ideas guys??
Thanks for your precise precise time.

Lucky

Start with the basics, set the synq & adjust the pilots for idle drop plus 1/4 turn out. make sure those are right. test ride. if the problem still persists, suspect a leaking YICS or other vacuume source.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I assume you use the choke to start it when it's cold? right?

have you made sure the choke is all the way off after it's warmed up? not just the lever, but also the plungers on the carbs should be all the way in.

how does it run when you're at 2500 rpm?

have you adjusted your idle speed with the knob?

those are quick easy checks.....

after running mine for about a minute on full, half and no choke..... it too, idles pretty good at 1000 rpm. But she's not warmed up yet.... when warmed up, idle stays at around 1300

so my idle increases when warm... but not 1500 rpm

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano