she runs; stupid charging system

Started by bluegillspeed, June 12, 2006, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegillspeed

Got her fired up for the first time since I took ownership. God I love that sound. The charging systems isn't working which I'll start troubleshooting tommorrow. She has a new stator so tailweel and I are pretty sure its probably the voltage regulator but we're going to test everything just to make sure. There was also a slight knocking sound but this seemed to fade after she ran for a few minutes. We're thinking maybe everything just needed to get lubricated again since she has been sitting for a while. I plan on listening for the knock more as we work on the charging system. Tailweel said he doesn't remember the knock being there last time he had the bike running. We also discovered that for some reason the vacuum line to the petcock is to short and causes the throttle to jam. Guess I'll be putting a longer hose on tommorrow to. Anyways regardless of the things we keep finding to fix I'm still grinning ear to ear and plan on having the her ready to ride by next Monday which is when I finish my MSF course. On a final note I don't think I'll ever forget hearing her fire up for the first time.
82 red with sport fairing

h2olawyer

Great news.  Glad you're close to riding condition (both you & your V)!

Mine has developed a little knocking sound over the last few hundred miles.  I'm thinking it's either valves or exhaust leak.  Haven't had time to really investigate it yet.  It only happens at certain temps which is leading me (maybe erroneously) to the preliminary diagnosis I've formed.  However, I will check it out thoroughly in the next few days.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

bluegillspeed

Fixed the charging system. Both the clips on the r/r have now been replaced by soldered connections. Found a small oil leak that starts when the engine heats up. The stator was recently replaced so I think one of the seals may not have reseated perfectly. It still has a slight knock, I know there is a good size hole in the right exhuast. I also suspect that the carbs need to be tuned. The knock also seems to be getting quitter the more I run the engine. Right now I plan on waiting until I get a couple of rides in on the bike. Any thoughts on things I should look and listen for to expand my list of things to fix/improve?
82 red with sport fairing

Serendipity

I have to tell you guys about last night, it was so cute....I'm in the barn feeding the horses, while Dave and Hillary are working on his bike. I suddenly hear it start up and a couple of seconds later here Hillary whooping it up...and I thought, "Hmmmm must be holding a charge!" Yeah Hillary!

**thread jack***

Speaking of our little FLROV, we're all three (plus the Littlest Visionary) in the workshop and I'm trying to get Dave to help me adjust my forks back *up* to their original position and I can't find any of the tools I need. Let me preface this by saying that at work Dave is very neat and orderly with his tools....at home it's another matter. So I tell him that I am going to clean this up ONE more time and that's it. And then he has the nerve (LOL) to tell me that this is HIS shop!!!! (Do realize we determined awhile ago that the barn is MY space and the workshop is HIS space) Well, that was before we decided to get me my own bike. So I politely (ahem) tell him that if expects me to wrench my own bike (which he does) than I need to be able to find the bleeping tools. It is at this point that our 2.5 year old says, "Mommy! No fighting!"

Damn....stymied by a toddler.  ::)

For the record, I did go ahead and clean up all the tools and made a nice little organizational system out of the grass seed buckets leftover from seeding MY horse pasture last weekend. And Dave did raise the forks (am I wording that right? Ya'll know what I mean).

The family that owns Visions together, stays together....with only minimal tool throwing and shouting. ;)

**we return you to your regularly scheduled thread** 

haunter

ha, my mom stays out of the garage when my dad and I get working together

the profanity level can get high as can the volume that we bicker in
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.