News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Lessons for Lucky about living in the south

Started by YellowJacket!, June 13, 2006, 05:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

In honor of one  of our most prolific and informative members who will soon be moving to Tennessee, we are compiling a list of things for him to learn about moving to the south.

Previous suggestions including language lessons were posted on this thread: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=4524.0

Since that thread was dedicated to the Warrior gathering in the gap, I decided to start a more on topic thread for Lucky.   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: DaveTN on June 13, 2006, 05:53:40 PM

Another irritating thing.  People 'round here signal for the car IN FRONT of them that is turning.

oooo.. forgot about that gem... that can getcha in a heap of trouble thinking the car in front of you is turning (right) .... thinking to yourself... Ok, I'll edge over to the left....and then it doesn't turn  >:(  (guess no one here would do that anyway right? anticipating what the vehicle in front of them is going to do  ???)

Here's something else quirky they do/did in Raleigh.......

Go to a 7-11 and buy a single beer....

>"do you want a bag?" (a special little brown paper bag that fits a beer perfectly)
>"um, why would I want that little bag?"
>"well, ya know, so no one knows when you're drivin down the road, that you're drinkin a beer!!!"
>"oh, yeah, that sounds like a GOOD IDEA, no one would suspect me of drinking a beer with a paperbag in my face!"

Wake Co., NC had just gotten "liquor by the drink" when I moved down in the early eighties. Before that, you'd take your big ole bottle of "Jack" to a club and pay for a setup....

Now, how many people do you think ended up going home with a half jug of Jack?

On the positive side.... Raleigh had "Don Murray's Barbecue Lodge"
Best pork barbecue and slaw ever! Still miss the sweet tea too!
oh yeah, and the Brunswick Stew was wicked...

Lucky, what ever they say.... don't eat the okra, they are not little kosher dills  :D

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I actually already like fried okra, just gotta watch that fried stuff since my carbs..uh, heart got a little clogged.  I prefer the half sours  ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bluegillspeed

Be wary of speaking about General Sherman (civil war), especially if they know where you moved from, and don't ever mention him in any of the areas that look like they missed the last hundred years or so.

If someone hands or gives you "a funny lookin squash" don't eat it. Its likely a baby gourd which if eatten will give you a new deffinition of sour and likely make you sick. This was one of our classic jokes for new comers.

If you ever find yourself in a little valley known to the locals as warwoman. RUN!!! RUN VERY FAST!!! The people that live there like to shoot first and ask who it was later.

This may be common knowledge but don't drink to much of the shine till yer use to it. It can really sneak up on you.
82 red with sport fairing

munkyfistfight

Most important thing I can teach you about living in the South is that you can't buy Yuengling Beer in Georgia, but you can get a 24oz can of Miller High Life for .99 cents at the Quik Trip/
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Lucky

Thanks Bluegill, i'll keep it in mind, I'm really a revolutionary war buff (wait'll they get a load of my Brown Bess Musket, lol) So they know who Lafeyette is in Atlanta...

I'm not a big drinker Munky, but i like Corona, & i hear that's not a problem.  i'll run the moonshine in my V to keep the carbs clean  ;D

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on June 14, 2006, 08:09:56 AM
Thanks Bluegill, i'll keep it in mind, I'm really a revolutionary war buff (wait'll they get a load of my Brown Bess Musket, lol) So they know who Lafeyette is in Atlanta...

I'm not a big drinker Munky, but i like Corona, & i hear that's not a problem.  i'll run the moonshine in my V to keep the carbs clean  ;D

run some of it up here and I'll pay ya  ;D
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

bluegillspeed

in reference to the driving techniques from the last thread.

The stopped on the on-ramp, going slow and various other things mentioned never occurred I my home area. We had various sayings for those that drove like that, they went something like @#$^%%*&#%$#&^&(^^$^$#@^%$*^&*(%^$#@$#* tourists!!!!!!! The waving on at the stop sign was a mixture of shouthern courtesy and idea that if no else is waiting to pull out then no one can pull out and hit you.

Take note where I gew up has a lot of dirt track racing. After thinking a little the areas that are heavily into racing tend to have almost opposite driving quirks than the other areas of the south.

The south is very diverse in how people drive but generally consistant to various areas. What you really want to look for more than someone is stopped or stopping on the on-ramp is the other person behind you that plans on being at 20 over when they get on highway.

Another thing to remember, southerners don't just talk slow. They think slow and react slow.

MotorPlow

Don't forget about how you get your mail. I think it's a requirement to drive on the wrong side of the road so you can have your mailbox right at your driver's side car window. Get your mail, back up on the wrong side of the road and then make a sharp right turn across the entire road to get into your driveway.

And remember, just because the farm tracor coming at you is in the center of the road, doesn't mean you can still get by on the shoulder (if there is one). The equipment the tractor is towing  blocks the entire road from mailbox to mailbox.

bluegillspeed

As long as your on the bigger tractor and/or your equipment has more sharp edges, they move.

Superfly

Word of the day:

RAT CHEER

It is not over there....
It is rat cheer

Damn I miss N.C.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Tiger

:) Remember also Lucky....That they are heavy into Nascar....so if you offend some-one and race away on your "V".....remember to keep turning RIGHT....will always screw them up..... ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: Superfly on June 16, 2006, 03:49:28 PM

Damn I miss N.C.

Just when I thought the flashbacks were gone... here comes another one....

CHIGGERS

DaveTN.. are there chiggers in Tennessee ?? damn chiggers  >:( >:( >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Yep,

Chiggers are everywhere, not just Tennessee.  Step-daughter had a recent experience with them while at camp last week...an experience she is likely to never forget. ;D

David

Mutt

Quote from: Night Vision on June 16, 2006, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: Superfly on June 16, 2006, 03:49:28 PM

Damn I miss N.C.

Just when I thought the flashbacks were gone... here comes another one....

CHIGGERS

DaveTN.. are there chiggers in Tennessee ?? damn chiggers  >:( >:( >:(

As soon as you cross the line in to NC you have to use the term "redbugs". They're chiggers in TN and redbugs in NC.

Fireworks and booze will be one of your new favorite activities. You will have Dollywood bumper stickers on all your vehicles. You will have to choose your favorite NASCAR driver and have a decal on your back window. You will tour the Jack Daniels distillery at least 3-5 times (because of visiting relatives). You will visit the atomic museum at Oakridge at least 3 times (because of visiting relatives). You will obtain a big orange T decal to go with your dollywood bumper stickers and NASCAR decal. You will suddenly have a great interest in obtaining new fishing poles and tackle (ebay) to catch a huge large mouth bass. You may even be shopping soon for a good used bass boat. You will learn to go through Knoxville on I-75 and not take 275. It's not a short cut for time or distance. Every day on the road will be like a NASCAR race. You will be HOTD hung-out-to-dry when trying to position for your exit. If you don't know what this means....you will. Just be sure to get in the lane you need to be in for your exit ramp at least 2 miles prior to reaching it. There will always be road work going on in and around Knoxville on I-75. Even your great great grand children will be seeing it.

Oh, and enjoy the snow there too.

You should have moved to Raleigh. We had NO snow this year and in Johnston County (next to Wake) we still have BYOB in restaurants and some clubs. We do like to use paper bags when we drive so that no one knows what we're drinking.  ;D

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

OK Mutt,

Why is it that you know more about Knoxville than me?

Construction is a tribute to The UT Vols (thats out football team, Lucky).  Thats why all the construction barrels you see around town are orange and white.  I thought NASCAR was bigger in NC.
Your description about the driving around here is pretty accurate.

;D  ;D

David

Lucky

I lived in South Florida for 10 years, so the traffics no problem (& RI drivers were voted the worst in the nation this year, so i'll be fine)
no Dollywood or orange T stickers on my car, the Red Sox stickers stay (we are still celebrating the world series win) i'll just have to deal with it...

I'm probably the only person left still rooting for Wild Bill from Dawsonville, I have a 1/10 RC car with his '88 Melling oil T-bird body on it...

not much of a drinker, & dock fishing is more my style, & i'll tour those places with Dave, on my bike  :D

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on June 16, 2006, 11:13:02 PM
I'm probably the only person left still rooting for Wild Bill from Dawsonville, I have a 1/10 RC car with his '88 Melling oil T-bird body on it...

Ah yes, Awesome Bill from Dawsonville.  Also my favorite all-time NASCAR driver.  Loved the ad he used to do with his Shelby Mustang.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Lol, i can't believe i said "wild" instead of awesome...

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on June 16, 2006, 10:57:28 PM
OK Mutt,

Why is it that you know more about Knoxville than me?

Construction is a tribute to The UT Vols (thats out football team, Lucky).  Thats why all the construction barrels you see around town are orange and white.  I thought NASCAR was bigger in NC.
Your description about the driving around here is pretty accurate.

;D  ;D

David

Don't forget, I'm from Tennesee. I'm actually the perfect translator. Born in TN, grew up in GA and NC. Edumakated in NY,NY. Lived in MI, CA, FL, VA, SC, NJ and practically AK.  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President