Crappy Gas Mileage

Started by YellowJacket!, June 16, 2006, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Was riding home from work yesterday and she started sputtering and bogging down and acting like she was running out of gas.  flipped to reserve and all was well for the ride home.  Trip Odometer showed 50 miles since last fillup which was 3.8 gals.  I filled to the top of the hump in the tank.  What gives?  She was riding well with only an intermittent stumble (gonna check my YICS).  But roughly 15mpg??

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

put the bike up on the center stand and let it run in the reserve postion....
is there any fuel coming out the carb overflow tubes?...flames shooting out the pipes?  ::)

15 mpg is almost unbelievable.. last two times I checked mine, I'm getting around 45mpg.

open the oil filler plug and smell for gas too!!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Thanks night vision.

While you were posting this,  I was outside changing the oil.  No gas smell to the oil.

David

Superfly

There should be a HEAVY gas smell somewhere.  Sounds like you are leaking fuel.  Does your carb overflow tube look wet?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Night Vision

well at least the two gallons isn't in your oil.... are you estimating mileage based soley on changing over to reserve? or did you put more gas back in?

stick your finger in the ends of the pipes... is it running super rich?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

tailwheel

hey Dave,
I recently dropped my bike also and when I got it back up I found that the float stuck on the rear carb and was pumping fuel out of the overflow. After a few firm taps on the carb the float became unstuck and all has been well since. I got worried and thought I would have to pull the carbs apart but like any good mechanic I got a bigger hammer and got it fixed.

Dave

P.S.
Dave I sent you an e-mail about the exhaust you have. No rush here, I have plenty of other projects to work on but I need a weight and size of the box and I can get you a UPS label. If you don't need to get it out of your garage right away I can also pick it up when we are up that way next month.
D
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

YellowJacket!

Quote from: tailwheel on June 16, 2006, 08:26:32 PM
hey Dave,
I recently dropped my bike also and when I got it back up I found that the float stuck on the rear carb and was pumping fuel out of the overflow. After a few firm taps on the carb the float became unstuck and all has been well since. I got worried and thought I would have to pull the carbs apart but like any good mechanic I got a bigger hammer and got it fixed.

Dave

P.S.
Dave I sent you an e-mail about the exhaust you have. No rush here, I have plenty of other projects to work on but I need a weight and size of the box and I can get you a UPS label. If you don't need to get it out of your garage right away I can also pick it up when we are up that way next month.
D

Hey Dave,
I got the email and I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet.  I was trying to figure out a way to weigh it accurately.  I think I'm gonna just use my bathroom scale.

As far as the gas smell, yes, my garage has smelled a bit more like gas lately but I have not seen any leaking under the bike.  This tankfull is from right after I dropped the bike, so it could be a stuck float.  Im going out to bang on it now.

How close are you to Jacksonville?  I'll be down that way in 2 weeks.

David

Mutt

Dave, if you haven't been keeping a close watch on your trip meter it could be inaccurate. Every once in a while mine will screw up. Try using your odometer instead. I once watched mine turn all three digits at the same time only to end up with 2 miles on what I'm sure was more like 50.

3.8 gallons within 50 miles....you would have definately smelled gas if it were leaking.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

Quote from: DaveTN on June 16, 2006, 09:10:39 PM

think you might be around to help empty the truck? we are planning on it for the 5th or so...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on June 16, 2006, 11:32:49 PM

think you might be around to help empty the truck? we are planning on it for the 5th or so...

No problem Lucky.  We are coming back on the 1st or 2nd.  I'll, (and possibly my step-son) and Vicki will be there to help. ;D

David

tailwheel

David

I'm about 3 hours from Jacksonville so it would be tough for me to get up there.
Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

Lucky

DaveTn, you know at some point we have to take a road trip to New Orleans right?  ;D is that going to be a problem?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on June 17, 2006, 08:40:03 PM
DaveTn, you know at some point we have to take a road trip to New Orleans right?  ;D is that going to be a problem?

No prob.  I'm looking forward to it.

David

YellowJacket!

2VRoy

Another trick I use, be delicate, use the right size and don't over do it, get a set of oxygen/acetylene torch reamers. They are perfect for cleaning out jets, but be warned that these are steel and the jets are brass, so use the right size and DON'T be forceful.
Keep the rubber side down!