News:

Main Menu

engine stutter!!!

Started by 2VRoy, June 16, 2006, 05:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2VRoy

It feels like loss of spark, power wise she seems to fly. The faster you go the smoother it gets, but go slow and it is like a bad case of the hichups. Any ideas!!
Keep the rubber side down!

Tiger

??? Roy...at around 4 to 5,000 RPM..... ??? ...or....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

2VRoy

4000 and fadding out a bit around 6500.

h2olawyer

Dirty / misadjusted carbs & maybe leaking YICS.  Those are the most likely culprits.  What you are describing sounds a lot like "Vision Stumble".  That was one of the main reasons the 82 bikes were so detested by the dealers & didn't sell well when new.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

It's in the right rpm band, but the stumble usually happens when you throttle on fast, and it smooths out when you roll on really slow.  It sounds like his is doing the opposite if I understand right.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

2VRoy

Carburators were just cleaned, changed several vacuum lines and YICS seems to work fine. RPM drops back pretty good. This stutter is pretty constant all through 1st and 2nd gear, speeding up or slowing down. Fads out around 80 to 90 and stays that way speeding up or slowing along that range. Also just disconected the yellow/black wire off the TCI, for a much better start and idle. Spark plugs are fairly new, less than 100 kilometers, coils are the original 1983's.

This stutter is like a sharp break and not a smooth fad in and out.

Lucky

as much as you may hate to hear it, your carbs are still dirty...
did you disasemble them & DIP them? spraying them out won't do it...
the pilot (low speed) jet is at the very bottom of the carb where all the crap ends up. sometimes cleaning the carbs only loosens up some of the crud, the vibration from running the bike later makes the scale come loose reclogging the carbs. often a second (& rarely a 3rd) cleaning may need to be done.

other possabilities:
--crap/water in the tank clogging the petcock/filter/fuel pump/carbs.  a clean carb is of no use if the tank hasn't been cleaned & sealed.
--re-do the synq & pilot screws, they may want an extra 1/4-3/4 turns out (adjust & ride in 1/4 turn increments.)

--Lucky

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

I'll just tag on to the end of Lucky here, you say the YICS seems to be working fine, but how did you test it?  A leak won't always be very obvious.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

2VRoy

Thanks, I will take things apart for another look. Trying to get this sorted out, as the "Ride For Sight" is next weekend and I would like to make it the first official ride for this one.

big_champ

my friend im having the same problem, from what i have been researching it could be a valve clearance issue. I havent gotten along to try and fix it because I havent done that job before so i wanna be careful and ready before i do.  Let me know if you have checked your valve clearance and i can X that option.  One question i have for you is, does your idle increase after the bikes been warmed up for sometime, up to 2000rpm?

2VRoy

My engines valve clearance was checked before I mounted the engine in the frame a year ago. This project has been an on going one, including a relocation. One of my bottom jet was cloged solid and I had a line leak at 25 psi going to the YICS. RPM is now spot on along with the rest of the engine.

Tiger

:) Well done Roy.....another satisfied ROV customer... ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

d0n

I have the same issue with my 83 V now. Hopefully a carb rebuild will help.

I'm also wondering about putting real quality auromotive type hose clamps on the yics lines. The stock spring clamps don't seem to be the best things for the job.

Night Vision

Quote from: d0n on July 06, 2006, 11:41:09 AM
I'm also wondering about putting real quality auromotive type hose clamps on the yics lines. The stock spring clamps don't seem to be the best things for the job.

when I replaced my yikes hoses, the only hose that i.d. size I could find was windshield wiper hose. The rear oem hose had molded angles which are tough to duplicate in a short length without kinking....

....so.... what i did was get a stout spring from home depot that was about the same inside diameter as the hose, had to stretch it slightly.... inserted into hose...

viola... no kink     and the smallest auto hose clamp works nicely too.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano