Will not turn over when hot?

Started by RBFD415, June 18, 2006, 08:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBFD415

When the bike is warmed up (hot) the bike will not restart. In fact it will not even turn over. If I didn't know better it sounds like the engine is seized, but it turns over after it cools off. I'm wondering if there were issues with the starter getting overheated? The bike runs fine when it does start. I did try and search the site but didn't get any hits?

Also- I am now getting complete loss of the tach, temp and turn signals, that cycles on and off. I doubt this is related but hey, who knows?

I have not complely rueled out the battery, but the bike is charging at 13.8 (volts) when running.

Thanks, Doug H.

RBFD415

BTW....I'm NOT having the same problem as the simalar title recent post. My bike will NOT even turn over when HOT!

Doug H

Lucky

first, just for piece of mind:
with the engine HOT & the ignition OFF, pull the rectangular cover on the left side of the engine & turn the engine over by hand (clockwise). if it turns, breath easier, it's not seized.

then try tapping on the tail of the starter while pushing the start button. if it cranks, get yourself a starter rock or repair the starter.

other possabilities could be a weak connection in the battery.  the plates in the battery are soldered together & sometimes those solder joints can work loose (non repairable, replace the battery) this is most likely to show up when the battery is warm.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Hey Doug, If it is the starter let me know and maybe we will have to throw in a clam shooter at Martell's into the barter mix. LOL!
-Heather ;)
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Rolle

Hello!

I got just those problem and I find out that the problem was my starter!

I took apart my starter and it was a toaly mess inside the planetgear!
Maybe I can post some photos soon.
A strange thing is that if I tighten up those two long bult that keep the starter together it won´t turn ???

Same thing with the other starter I got, so don´t tighten those to hard.

Read a lot of posts in this forum about to take a starter apart and put it together again. You need that information
to make it right...............

Roland.........................
Take care and be safe on the roads!

Rolle

Oh I forget to say this :

If You put the bike at the centralstand and see to that there is a lower par of ground underneth the rear wheel
You can balanse the bike to stand at it´s rear wheel  and centerstand and the front wheel in the air You can change starter without emty the engines oil ;D

Worked out fine for me. In doubt You can se the oillevel in the glass at the side of engine.

Roland....
Take care and be safe on the roads!

RBFD415

Hey, THANKS EVERYBODY! It was the battery. With the new replacement it's just fine!

However- I still don't have tach, temp or turn signals. Any ideas?

Once again, thanks, Doug H

Lucky

if whole systems are out, i'd suspect the fuses, the stock fuse holder is notorius for breaking. pull each fuse & check the metal holders, also test each fuse for continuity, they may look good but still be bad where they are soldered into the cap inside.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black