News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What kind of stumble is this?

Started by Night Vision, June 20, 2006, 12:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

ok, I've put just over 1,000 mi. on my resurrection and I'm trying to find carburetor nirvana....

Does anyone have this situation?

Starts good, idles great after warm up, pulls strong through the gears whether I slow roll it on or put some wrist into it without any stumble.... joy!

but.......... if I'm happily cruising along at a steady 5k or 6k rpm, in 4th or 5th gear.... and I crack the throttle quickly..... it hesitates / bogs down for a split second...

I have the updated flapper, stock jetting except for the 135's up top.

Is that normal?  Am I just squirting a little extra gas through the nozzles with that quick snap and it runs rich for a moment?

I realize we're not dealing with EFI here and we have no ECU. 

Just want to make sure I'm not chasing my tail.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

hmmm.....

I did alot at once to get rid of that problem

found one vacumn leak

adjusted the pilot screws

and re-aimed a accelator nozzle that was spraying nothing but the side of the carb wall..

and after that it went away......

I would just check them

and make sure your main jets are still flowing clean, do you still have 127.5 and 122.5's?  swapping up to 130's could help that as well...
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

i'd agree with Haunter check those things, except i'd leave the main jets stock & up the pilot airs to 135's
Also check the flapper, the vacuume pot/hose can leak, the linkage may be stiif or it may need to be slid forward or back (the holes on the flapper are slotted)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I have the 135's, but I really didn't give the flapper hose and mechanism much considereration.
That's probably the only vac hose on the bike I didn't replace. What the hell was I thinking.  >:(

I'll double check the nozzles, yike etc. Then go back to the piolts

As long as the tank's off, I'm going to try insulating/isolating it from all the radiator/engine heat.   

Also, thanks for the heads up on the brake bolts. Read something about it before, but I thought Kia was talking about the rod that went from lever to lever. That doesn't sound like a good time
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano