News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

WARNING!!! MUST READ!!

Started by Lucky, June 21, 2006, 02:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

for all you 'newbies' (don't care what your post count is) i'm going to re-post this as it's a life or death issue.

IF YOU HAVE NOT CHECKED AND CHANGED YOUR REAR BRAKE BRACE BAR BOLTS, DO SO TODAY!!!

these are the two bolts, one on each end, that hold the straight bar on the rear drum to the frame behind the right foot peg.

we had a few of these found cracked last year, and a couple of them let go (put Kiawrench & his Vision out of comission for a while)

That brace plays the crucial role of keeping the read drum from turning, & everytime you hit the rear brake it is under stress. if that front bolt brakes YOU ARE GOING DOWN! the only question will be how far you'll fly as you launch off the bike...

if the rear bolt brakes you might be able to stop the bike safely...perhaps

is your life worth $2 worth of bolts?

Stay safe!  --Lucky

DEC/2011:
I've been asked to ad another topic to this thread, & I think it is warrented.  carefully inspect your old rear brake shoes for delamination. if they seperate, the rear brakes could lock in a similar manor:
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12800.0
http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

oooouuuccchhhhh!!  reading this made my wallet and leg hurt!

no joke, replace those two bolts ,even if they look good,,, do it this week,, before they decide to break.
   i was only doing 35 mph or so, rod broke the front bolt,pegged the pavement,dumped me in a very scary place-- on the tail of dragon, us 129.  behind me were a stack of miata drivers with heavy gas pedals and the corner i slid into was all down hill just past the pavement.

The damage was enough to kill the bike, and lay me up for a good bit. just a note for those that think a dump at 30 is something you can "ride out on the high peg"  - when a vision goes down at speed, it will slide, then flip,pounding whatever is on it into the ground and then nail you to a tree. the pounding part hurts the most . been there

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Blurred Vision

I was lucky enough to have the rear one go and not the front 2. Still almost crapped myself! ;D
Jay

67GTO

One of the first things I did was replace them. Original ones were rusted and coroded!
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Superfly

Good advice Lucky,

I had one break in city traffic last year, nothing too bad, just tore up my rear brake tension rod, and wrapped it around the rear brake drum... If I was doing any speed over 20 mph I would have went down.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Walt_M.

The stay arm is on the right side and attaches to the bottom of the brake backing plate. Replace both the front and rear bolts. It is not nearly as big a job to replace them as it would be to fix all the things that could be damaged it you don't!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

Quote from: dchakrab on June 21, 2006, 12:16:22 PM
Can someone post a picture? Just want to make sure I'm looking for the right bolts.
I'm assuming this is a cheap replacement...where am I going and what am I asking for

Dave, check out this link and save a shortcut..you'll see diagrams of (most) of the parts and parts numbers.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha/prompt/L3Nwb3J0L3BhcnRzL2hvbWUuYXNweA==/Parts%20Catalog/starthere.aspx

Don't know if you have a dealer nearby, but I ordered the two bolts tonight for less than $6 with tax.

I'll go OEM from the dealer when it's not big bux... I call it "feed the dealer"
they're a 1/2 mile down the road and I'd like to keep it that way :D

I always make a print out of the diagrams and part numbers for my "personal parts consultant".. "Brad"... when I go to there. It's easier for him and I can double check to see that he's ordering what I want. 

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

bikehandle

I had a rear bolt come out on my harley the one that screws into the brake hub. I was doing 55 when I touched the rear brake pedal and all hell broke loose! It locked up my rear wheel and wound the brake rod up on my hub. I was sliding all over the road but thank God I didn't lay it down! It happened so fast there was no time to plan ahead. Scared me so bad I drilled a hole through the new bolt and wired it in!
god, save me from my fondest wish!

hfarley

Ok I see 3 bolts on the yamaha motor website under the rear wheel picture. I think the ones that need replacing are numbers 29 and 34 but I wasn't sure about number 19. Could someone please clarify this for me?
The OEM part numbers that I have are:
Number 19- 90101-06291-00
Number 29- 90109-08406-00
Number 34- 90109-08368-00

Thanks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Night Vision

Heather - #19 is a bolt that holds the brake lever on a splined shaft going to the brake pads. The other two is what they're talking about. Even if that #19 bolt broke, the lever should stay on the splined shaft and wouldn't launch you off.  >:(
;D

hfarley

Thank you!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Tiger

???......."when was the last time you changed the brake tension bar bolts on YOUR Vision?"....... ???Don't know where they are yet  ::).......ASK before YOU have an accident....... :o
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

we did ours about two or three weeks ago. I did mine and it was so much fun, I just had to let my brother do his own ;)

grumble, grumble "plink".... yep... I know exactly where that bolt went...
grumble, grumble "plink"....  yep there it is again....
grumble, grumble "plink".... ready to try it my way yet?
grumble, grumble "plink", grumble, grumble "plink", grumble, grumble "got it"

now you know why I say it's the family curse..... if it ain't worth doing it the hard way......

oh yeah, you could definately see that the bolts were discolored. half good / half stressed and corroded on the same bolt
;D

h2olawyer

Checked mine when kiawrench had his break last year or so.  Nice to live where corrosion isn't as much of an issue!  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VinceDee

Which of these are the bolts that need to be replaced (using the bolt numbers), and what kinds of bolts are acceptable to use?

UPDATE: The diagram has been updated to highlight in red the bolts that need to be replaced (thanks H20)

Vince
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

h2olawyer

#s 29 & 34 are the critical bolts.  Especially #34 - it's difficult to get to but necessary to check.  If it breaks, the rod drops & will pogo your bike & likely cause a crash.

Any new bolt with a nylon lock nut should work, but look for the highest grade rating you can find.  You can also order the parts from Yamaha just to make sure you've got some that will last for another 15 years.  Always nice to use the right parts in such safety critical situations.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VinceDee

Thanks H20, those were the ones I thought you guys were referring to. I'll probably order mine from Yamaha (as long as they're not gouging)

I'm going to update that picture to reflect the correct bolts.

Vince
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

simcha

Does the bolt not have a shoulder on it? Something like an 8mm OD shank with a 6mm thread? Surely you can only use the correct bolt?

Night Vision

Quote from: simcha on August 07, 2006, 05:01:38 PM
Does the bolt not have a shoulder on it? Something like an 8mm OD shank with a 6mm thread? Surely you can only use the correct bolt?

I agree. I went OEM... I think they "gouged" me for $3 ea. at the most... better than gouging the pavement  >:(
;D

tattooedtaz69

wont be on mine this year do to carbs needing rebuilt, but while it is down and not running I am going to make this the very first thing to do before anything. The picture sure helps. My wife wont let me ride it either till I get it done.....you would think she would want the insurance money ;D