General > TechTalk

WARNING!!! MUST READ!!

(1/6) > >>

Lucky:
for all you 'newbies' (don't care what your post count is) i'm going to re-post this as it's a life or death issue.

IF YOU HAVE NOT CHECKED AND CHANGED YOUR REAR BRAKE BRACE BAR BOLTS, DO SO TODAY!!!

these are the two bolts, one on each end, that hold the straight bar on the rear drum to the frame behind the right foot peg.

we had a few of these found cracked last year, and a couple of them let go (put Kiawrench & his Vision out of comission for a while)

That brace plays the crucial role of keeping the read drum from turning, & everytime you hit the rear brake it is under stress. if that front bolt brakes YOU ARE GOING DOWN! the only question will be how far you'll fly as you launch off the bike...

if the rear bolt brakes you might be able to stop the bike safely...perhaps

is your life worth $2 worth of bolts?

Stay safe!  --Lucky

DEC/2011:
I've been asked to ad another topic to this thread, & I think it is warrented.  carefully inspect your old rear brake shoes for delamination. if they seperate, the rear brakes could lock in a similar manor:
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12800.0
http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

--Lucky

kiawrench:
oooouuuccchhhhh!!  reading this made my wallet and leg hurt!

no joke, replace those two bolts ,even if they look good,,, do it this week,, before they decide to break.
   i was only doing 35 mph or so, rod broke the front bolt,pegged the pavement,dumped me in a very scary place-- on the tail of dragon, us 129.  behind me were a stack of miata drivers with heavy gas pedals and the corner i slid into was all down hill just past the pavement.

The damage was enough to kill the bike, and lay me up for a good bit. just a note for those that think a dump at 30 is something you can "ride out on the high peg"  - when a vision goes down at speed, it will slide, then flip,pounding whatever is on it into the ground and then nail you to a tree. the pounding part hurts the most . been there

Blurred Vision:
I was lucky enough to have the rear one go and not the front 2. Still almost crapped myself! ;D

67GTO:
One of the first things I did was replace them. Original ones were rusted and coroded!

Superfly:
Good advice Lucky,

I had one break in city traffic last year, nothing too bad, just tore up my rear brake tension rod, and wrapped it around the rear brake drum... If I was doing any speed over 20 mph I would have went down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version