News:

Main Menu

YIC and Petcock washers

Started by RickJAB, May 09, 2005, 06:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJAB

Does anyone know where I can get replacement fiber washers like the ones used on the YICS box or the screws that hold the petcock to the tank?  I replaced the petcock scews with allen wrench bolts to avoid stripping them, and one of the washers was damaged.  Is their a suitable substitute?
Thanks,
RICKJAB

Lucky

I had the same problem, & also used allens to replace them. to replace the fiber washer I used thick gasket material & gasket punchs to replicate them.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RickJAB

Lucky,
     Thanks for the info.  I ended up taking the good fiber washers off the YICS and used them on the petcock bolts, since I had the YICS off to repair an internal leak.  I created a gasket last night and resealed it like your site explains and used small a/c O rings on the YICS screws.  Tank has gas in with no leaks around the petcock as of this morning, battery is fully charged and I'm trying out the repaired YICS tonight after work.  If the o rings (or my repair job) don't work, I'll try your method using gasket material on the YICS screws or seach a little more for fiber ones.  
Rick  

Kevin

If Yamaha doesn't have the fiber washers, they should they are used on most dirt bikes. Try a Suzuki dealer. They are used on all of the 70's dirt bikes.
also the oval oring on the 82's petcock fits many Suzukis and other Yamahas. Kevin

harry_angel69

The oval o-ring is just a round one that conformed to its application.  You can get o-rings at any auto parts store.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

QBS

Recently PORed my '83 tank and replaced the petcock screws with allen head items.  Also replaced the fiber washers with items found at Lowes excellent specialty fastener/washer cabinet.  The little plastic bag the washers came in is marked "sealing washer bonded"  "#17".  They are a perfect replacement.  Cheers.