News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Emblem question

Started by h2olawyer, June 21, 2006, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

I have kind of a dumb question but I'll ask just so I don't break anything.  The rear yamaha emblem - on the taillight housing between the grab handles - is sitting high on one side.  I was wondering how it attaches.  Couldn't find any nuts for it inside the tail housing.  Found the ones for the grab handles but they don't do anything for the emblem.  Never had it off before & the Yamaha parts page drawings are no help.  Also not in either the Haynes or my factory manual.  Any help appreciated!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

they just snap in, you should be able to just tap it down unless it's warped.  also if you take it out, use care, it may be brittle after 25 years.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Thanks, Lucky.  I didn't want to force anything.  Just planning on putting it back into position if possible.  It has always been nice & flat until just a few days ago.  Don't know if I snagged my tail bag or bungee net on it or what happened.  I'll still be very careful with it, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

I have removed mine and put it back on again several times. I used a flat head screwdriver to pop it out. I wiggle it a bit under the left side, then the right, then the middle, etc until it pops off. Think of how you would open a paint can by working it all the way around. this way you shouldn't break it. Lucky's right they are very brittle.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

YellowJacket!

Be careful removing it.  I snapped mine in half trying to remove it and thanks to Tiger, I have a new one.  It is held in place by two snap firrings on either side and a central pivot point.  The two snaps fit into hols in te rubber grab bars and are held in place by friction.  You must carefully pry it out of the holes.  The center point is a bit tougher and should be pushed up from the inside of the tail light housing to get it out without braking it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Thanks all - I got it off like heather suggested, but right after Lucky posted his comment.  I used a Wonder Bar and a wide flat blade screwdriver.  Gradually figured out where the main point of resistance was located & got it off.  Turns out the bolts holding the left grab bar had come loose & were forcing the emblem up.  No wonder I couldn't get it to feel like it was seated.  All is copacetic back there again.

H2O

d0n

anyone have an extra emblem that snaps into the hole above the speedo and tach? Mine's missing.

h2olawyer

That sounds like the rectangular hole in the '83 plastic dashboard.  The plastic dashboard itself is one of the harder parts to find & I've never seen that particular emblem for sale anywhere.  Made of unobtanium, I believe.  (Unless Tiger has one?)

I used my plastic dash panel as a pattern and made a new dash out of 1/4 inch oak plywood.  I wanted to put in a voltmeter, power port & other accessories and didn't want to cut up the plastic dash.  It looks good & I can replace it easily in the future.  One possible solution is to cover the hole with a digital clock or something similar.

H2O

d0n

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 22, 2006, 09:04:29 AM
That sounds like the rectangular hole in the '83 plastic dashboard. 
H2O

yes that's the one.

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 22, 2006, 09:04:29 AM
That sounds like the rectangular hole in the '83 plastic dashboard.  The plastic dashboard itself is one of the harder parts to find & I've never seen that particular emblem for sale anywhere.  Made of unobtanium, I believe.  (Unless Tiger has one?)

H2O
......Unobtainium indeed....... ;D I took a pattern trace off of L_D's dashboard and fabricated mine out of 22ga galvanised steel, covered the "front" in industrial grade, double sided tape, laid on black grained leatherette (plastic), cut it approx' 3" around, double sided tape on the "back" and fold over covering. Finished it off with a black plastic edge beading off of an old windshield I had.......Looks great.... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

d0n

tiger post a pic of it if you can.