News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Front Wheel (disk brake rotors) 82 vs 83 ?

Started by Leather, June 23, 2006, 12:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

Hey guys.  You might have noticed am VERY intent on cleaning out the garage of unused Vision Parts. Some on eBay at :

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjetav8rQQhtZ-1

My question for this forum topic is:........ some have asked for the front dual brake rotor parts.  Well... now I am confused.

I parted out 2 1983 bikes (they had 1983 tanks, carbs, etc...)

BUT... I realize now looking at salvaged wheels.... neither had the dual disk rotors?

So my question is......  when did the bike get the dual front disk brake rotor?  ... 83?   .... 83 1/2  ?   

I'm beginning to suspect the early '83's were a hybrid of '82 and '83 pieces.

Thoughts?

- Leather
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

h2olawyer

They may have been full fairing 82s.  Some were sold in late 82 with the full fairings to make them more attractive to potential buyers.  As far as I can remember, the advertising for the 83s were all about trumpeting the upgraded carbs, dual disc front brakes & handling improvements.  May not be definitive but it seems reasonable.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

if you were duped, your '83' wouldn't have a fuel gauge, dampening rear shock, air forks & the synq adjustment & pilot adjustments would have been on the left.  if you have all these, someone may have swapped parts at the dealers b4 you got it... you said you bought it new? if not new, it might have had ft end dammage & 82 parts were put on to save $$...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

is that shock on ebay an 83? if so I am so buying it
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

The shock Leather has posted is not the one with adjustable damping.  I believe all 83s have the damping adjustment.  The 82s have only adjustable preload.  83s have both.  You can recognize the 83 by the black plastic adjustment dial on the top end of the shock.

I am considering bidding on the tank.  It's for a long-term project (I need to locate the fuel sender & petcock) so I will wait to see if there are any others interested.  My tank is in good - lined condition, but I'd like to eventually put the fuel gauge to work on my V.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes who is in dire need of an 83 tank.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VinceDee

I'm pretty positive that the '83 only comes with dual disks, so if you didn't have them then they weren't '83s.
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Leather on June 23, 2006, 12:24:29 AM
I'm beginning to suspect the early '83's were a hybrid of '82 and '83 pieces.

Actually, H2O has the answer.  In late 1982, Yamaha came out with the "upgraded 82" which had the full fairing and lowers on the bike.  It was available in multiple colors, but black and gold was an option.  It had all of the standard parts of the 1982 bike, so it had single front disk, 1982 carb setup, 1982 rear shock, no air-forks for the front.

You can't really tell whether an original bike was a 1982 or 1983 by the presence of a fairing and lowers. 

How do I know?  My mother had a 1982 with full fairing and lowers.  It's long been sold to someone else, who sold it to someone else, etc...

Brian