News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

I don't belong here anymore

Started by phobyte, June 28, 2006, 09:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phobyte

I did a dumb thing a few weeks ago, I sold my Vision.

I owned the bike for 21 years but it had spent the least 8 years mostly in the garage.  I have a new job which is close enough to home that I'm now riding my bicycle to work.  I figured that if I was not going to ride the Vision that I should let someone else have the joy of riding one of the most unique bikes ever made.

I would have posted a note about selling the bike here first but the forums were down when I made up my mind to sell the bike.  I sold it locally in just a couple of days.  I had three people offering me cash.  It's hard to turn down the cash!

I have enjoyed lurking here for several years and I have learned more about my Vision here then I did anywhere else.  I may still drop by from time to time, just for old times sake.

Before I sold my Vision I cleaned it up and took several pictures of it.  If you are interested you can see the pictures at:

http://phobyte.googlepages.com/1983yamahaxz550rkvision

h2olawyer

Sorry to hear you sold your V.  However, you are right in hopefully selling it to someone who will be able to enjoy it like you have for all these years.  I've owned mine for 22 years so I know it was probably a tough decision to sell.

As a now former Visionary, you are always welcome - you still belong!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

haunter

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 28, 2006, 10:29:38 AM

As a now former Visionary, you are always welcome - you still belong!

x2
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

d0n

In 40k miles what kind of work did you have to do to the V? Nice looking bike. Was it running and ready to ride when you sold it? How much did you get for it?

phobyte

The bike was running when I sold it, but not very well.  It had been neglected for many years and most of the neglect showed up thin the carbs.  I had to buy a new battery to get it to run.  Once it warmed up you could ride it but it stumbled any time you gave it a little, or a lot, of gas.  The plugs needed to be changed, the carbs needed a serious cleaning and then to have them synced.  All fluides needed to be changed.  The right hand muffler was starting to rust out.  The tires had plenty of tread but they were about ten years old so I'm don't think it would have been a bad idea to replace them.

None of the things that needed to be done were major.  I think the brakes were OK but everything else that normally wears out needed to be replaced. 

I had tried to sell the bike last year but without current pictures I didn't get any interest at $800.00.  So, I cleaned it up and took a bunch of pictures.  It took about two or three days and I had three people offering my cash.  I only asked for $700.00 and that's what I sold it for to the first guy to leave a deposit.

In hind site I should have asked for more.  However, once I decided to sell it I needed to get the sell over before I changed my mind.

In reading the many posts here I found that there are many things that can go wrong with a Vision but didn't break on mine.  I did replace the stator three times and the fork seals went out a couple of months after I bought it.  Other than that it was just tires, oil, brakes etc.

I still miss the bike, I if I had not sold it I'm sure that I would not be riding it.  I'm glad it now has a good home.  My one regret is that I didn't offer it for sale here.  Unfortunately the forums were down when I made up my mind to sell.

At least I now have some good pictures to remember it by.

Wayne