News:

Main Menu

voltage at battery goes crazy

Started by louthepou, July 07, 2006, 01:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louthepou

Hello folks,

My turn to look for an electrical gremlin.

On my yellow Vision, changed the stator; soldered the three white wires going to the R/R. I am fairly confident that both the stator and the R/R are in good conditions.

The bike starts, but runs rough. The carbs are clean, and likely not totally out of whack.

When the biek is running and I put the digital voltmeter on the battery, the numbers go totally berzerk. I can't get any reading, as if the voltage was going up and down way off scale.

Where should I start? And how can I make sure my ground is ok? (I don't even know where to look for that. Electricity and me, NOT good friends!!!)

Thanks in advance everyone, I will get that bike running before the end of the summer!!!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Hey Lou! 
Sorry to hear about this.  How is your voltometer?  Is the battery in it ok?  I had a cheapie a while ago, and they never work quite right.  Broke down and bought a good one, and I never had the jumping numbers syndrome since.

The ground is under the left coil.  I also run an extra one from where you wired the R/R into the harness.  I send it right to the battery Negative terminal.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

Thanks Superfly, at least my red cafe-racer is still going!

I know my multimeter is in good shape, so at least I can rule that one out. I put it on my red Vision and all is fine there; I tested a bunch of other electrical things around the house, so it's the yellow Vision.

I'll look for the ground and see what that tells me. Ah, what if it could be some simple thing like that!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic