News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Besides the vision, what else do you ride?

Started by d0n, July 14, 2006, 05:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Right now, the Rokon is in Fred Flintstone mode :-\ (foot power only). It is two wheel drive... all trailbreakers are. I have always wanted one. I got the frame, forks wheels and tires. So far, spent about $350.00 on e-Bay getting everything. I still need to order the risers and decide what kind of handlebars I want to use. This is my winter project.

I've been keeping an eye out for the drivetrain parts. I need everything, front and rear mitre boxes and the drive shaft (runs through the bike's backbone) and everything in between. Engine is not that important right now. I've been thinking an 80cc motor from a mid-80's Honda Elite scooter, has decent pickup for its size and the fuel economy is not bad at all. Ultimately, I would like to turn it into a street legal bike, but that is going to call for the creation of a front suspension (by law, all motorcycles in NH have to have one).

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

69shovel

69 chevelle-just recently started to have a wicked battery drain.
98 suburban- tow vehicle.....about to need a new starter and the power steering has gone to crap.
82 vision- still working on the starter
200? suzuki sv650- got it wrecked really bad. trying to find something cool to do with the engine!

might as well be mine:
82 monte carlo- got a caddy 500 swapped in it. technically belongs to my dad, but he hasn't touched it in a long time and he keeps it at my place (really i'm the only one who toys with it)

-jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

Mutt

Quote from: 69shovel on August 20, 2006, 06:58:58 PM

200? suzuki sv650- got it wrecked really bad. trying to find something cool to do with the engine!

-jay

Someone had posted here once, a Vision engine used to power an air compressor. That would make one heck-of-a air compressor. Maybe pick up a Vision frame and slip it in as a project?

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Cdnlouie

My mid-life crisis was averted by the restoration of an 82 Vision (office commuter) and shortly thereafter an 85 Venture Royale (long distance hauler).  Now my garage is full, so I am doting on them both until I need to satisfy the next craving and then I will have to move.

My 4-wheelers are two 95's: LeBaron GTC (convertible to extend outdoor fun limited by rain and the cold Canadian winter), Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a sweet 3.4 liter Quad cam for respectable motoring.

Interesting mix of men and machines here,

Louie  ;)

69shovel

Maybe pick up a Vision frame and slip it in as a project?

Mutt
[/quote]

thats along the lines of what i was thinking. me and a few buddys got to drinking a little too much and there was some talk of taking the deck off a riding lawnmower and putting it in there. :o
-Jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

Mutt

Quote from: 69shovel on August 21, 2006, 10:47:58 AM
Maybe pick up a Vision frame and slip it in as a project?

Mutt

thats along the lines of what i was thinking. me and a few buddys got to drinking a little too much and there was some talk of taking the deck off a riding lawnmower and putting it in there. :o
-Jay
[/quote]

Did you happen to see the last page of a motorcyclist about 7 or so months ago? Some one turned a riding mower in to a functioning chopper trike using motorcycle forks and wheel. That sounds like a plan! You could cut a lawn in Apex, ride to Cary cut one there then ride to Pittsboro for a cut. You could mow 3 large lawns several miles apart and still be home for supper!

Hope your water supply isn't affected by Cary's E. Coli!   Cary is a nice place to visit, but don't drink the water!  :D

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

supervision

Hey Sable, the inventor of Rokon comes to a yearly party that I go to,  he brings all these pictures of the start of the company.. he brings one his bikes and rides it over everything... one year (after alittle too much chili )  he tryed to load it back in the truck  without a ramp.  I was suprized when he pronounced it Rockon, we always said Rowcon round here.
" border="0

69shovel

Quote from: Mutt on August 22, 2006, 12:19:35 AM

Hope your water supply isn't affected by Cary's E. Coli!   Cary is a nice place to visit, but don't drink the water!  :D

Mutt

too late! i was over at a buddys house and had about 3 glasses of the e-coli water. luckily i'm not sick yet.....
-Jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

d0n

sable I've got a mini Rokon. I've been putting this thing together for a while. It's not 2 wheel drive but still goes about anywhere. If it won't go somewhere I just pick it up and carry it!  ;D

I even got a pair of Rokon tank decals that I need to put on the tank.  :D

Sable

supervision,

Are you talking about Charles Fehn or Orla Larsen? Charles actually designed the bike, Orla owned and started the company named Rokon. He bought the rights to the bike in 1963 after Nethercutt decided not to produce it anymore. I would love to sit down and have a long conversation with Mr. Fehn. I have his original patent application downloaded on my computer. I am so surprised that they (the company) has not made any major improvements since then. I would like to pick his brain as to what he would do to add a front and rear suspension to the trailbreaker (other than the low pressure tires). I've been to the Rokon world headquarters... curently about 50 miles away from my house in Gonic (Rochester) New Hampshire, but they were renovating and there was very little to see.

Nice d0n... I like how it looks like a tank! BTW - If anyone has knowledge of cheap mitre boxes (other than ebay), please let me know.

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

supervision

Orla Larsen ( pertty sure that sounds right)  never knew a thing about the bikes except that they were around.   My good friend was carrying on in the back of his pickup, getting gas one day, when Orla walked up and starting talking about the bike and his part in it. Don invited him to Bikefest, and he showed up with a bike and a ton of pictures and stories.. quite a  guy     I think he lives in Maraposa, Ca.   I'm sure I could get a phone # or e mail if you wanted    Dave
" border="0

Hegemon

After 41 years experience on all kinds of 2 wheeled machinery, funny enough I wind up with a slightly modified 82 (83 front end. big carbs) for my weekend bike, and a 2001 BMW R1100s as the daily driver. 4 wheel wise we have 1995 Suburban (last of the true small block 350 chevys) 1993 Grand Cherokee for the daughter (read heavy, slow, safe), 2002 Lexus RX300 for the missus, and my toy is a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo.  Still an adrenaline junkie at 48.  ;D
This fighting for your life business...it takes a lot out of ya...