Rev limit or dirty carbs

Started by tattooedtaz69, July 22, 2006, 11:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tattooedtaz69

I been busy building a new home the the vision to sit in over the winter havent been able to get carbs cleaned out, but my question is I can get it to start right up from cold let it warm up then it will lose power this happens just as the temp needle gets off dead cold. When it dies it turns over sounds as though it is going to run I touch the throttle its like it keeps it from running dies and if I dont touch the throttle it just spits and spirts like its going to run but never reaches running state. Could this be the rev limit or dirty carbs? Most times I can get it to full running temp like nothing is wrong this is a hit and miss deal doesnt always do this just every now and then. It is one reason I dont ride it right now, on the road trying to get it out of traffic while it is doing this is not very fun. I also noticed when I go out and start it every week, cause worse thing you can do from what i can see from the site is let them sit, when it acts up if I roll on the throttle it sluggish but get to a point and it revs up all of a sudden. In traffic the is scary cause it just takes off when your just trying to keep it from dieing. jerks the heck out of ya. Also someone put this nasty exhaust on it one side stays cold the other side is hot as heck. A cyclinder not fireing?? is this a possiblity and smells like some of the fuel is not getting burnt. And now the confusing part.....I go out after it has completely cooled off from just a tiny bit from cold and it fires right up. and like I mentioned earlier in my ramblings it doesnt happen all the time.

Lucky

clogged or partially clogged main jet don't think it's the rev limiter but you should clip the wire anyway that will eliminate that possability.--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tattooedtaz69

Ok I been wanting to clip the wire ... and being a newbie not sure where or what one to do the clipping to ???

Tdub

Quote from: Lucky on July 23, 2006, 12:16:41 AM
clogged or partially clogged main jet don't think it's the rev limiter but you should clip the wire anyway that will eliminate that possability.--Lucky
Lucky, did you mean the MJ or pilot?
Always Looking for the Next Race

Lucky

my mistake, i meant
Pilot Jet (under the bottom of the carbs)
Thanks, Tdub
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

smknjoe1964

Im having a similar problem  :( Bike starts right up and idles and throttles fine ,go to take off and it loses power have to pull the clutch in a little to keep it barely rolling  >:( Does this sound like dirty jets also  ???