News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carb Sync

Started by crackerkorean, July 28, 2006, 05:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Ok I might be doing something wrong but I cannot find the instuctions to do this.

When I reve the bike it takes a second for it to come back down to idle.
Its not the YICS (DaveTN) sent me a nicely sealed one. THANKS DAVE

I am hoping to do some serious riding this weekend. The anticipation is killing me.
Once the carbs are synced I need to find out wahts going on with the idle. When warmed up it dies.

Lucky

instuctions for making the $4 manometer are on my site here: http://www.xz550.com/art_files/4dollarmano.jpeg
what you simply do is:
--loosen (remove & install) the hose for the petcock vacuume line & the capped off fitting on the intakes.  this is so you don't have to fight with a stuck hose when the bike is hot.
--warm the bike up to operating temurature & shut off
--block off or clamp off the YICS hoses
--remove the loosened hoses & install your manometer hoses
--crack the locknut loose on the synq rod.
--start the bike, DO NOT REV
--observe the balancing fluid in the manometer
--turn the synq rod slowly in one direction as needed to balance the carbs.  the point here is not to get the highest readings, it is to get them even.
--as you adjust the synq, your idle will change, keep it adjusted to 1300 rpm (+/-50) while synqing.
--when they are even, tighten the lock nut.  watch the manometer as you do this, tightening the nut will change the synq.
--adjust the pilots.

shut the bike down, remove the manometer, hook up your hoses & test ride.  if you still have a stumble, adjust the pilot scres as needed

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

Thanks lucky, works beautifully now.

One thing i was wondeing though. It seems when I rev the bike it takes a second for it to come back down to idle.

I am going to replace the YICS hoses but I dont think that is the cause of the problem.
Any other ideas?

Lucky

Yics & hoses can defenatly be the problem, that's a classic symptom.  i reccomend testing the YICS with the water method, i've found some leaking that seemed ok when just blowing thru them...

crackerkorean

What be the water method?
This is a unit that DaveTN repaired and sent to me.

I will try new hoses tomorrow.

Lucky

get a container of water, sink, whatever. attach good hoses to the YICS plug one side with your thumb & submerge the yics. then blow hard. if bubbles come out the side of the chamber it leaks externally.  Reverse & repeat with the other side, if bubbles come out that side, that side leaks.

then pull one hose off & submerge the yics (don't worry about the little bit of water that gets in) & blow.  if bubbles come out the unhosed fitting, it leaks internally.