News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Aaaaaaah bugger......

Started by Tiger, August 02, 2006, 07:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

>:( AHHHHH Bugger......I removed the carb's from my "V" to get a close look at the rubber inlet manifold's.....and snapped off the little, brittle, 1/8" plastic overflow pipe that comes out of the front carb on the left side......Don't ask.... :-[
I removed the inlet's to find that both where in poor condition, especially the front unit. Having 3 spare motor's I managed to find two good one's which, after a good cleaning, I coated with "Liquid electrical tape". Installed them on the "V"....even used nice, new, shinny stainless steel soc' head's to secure them!!!!
New vacum line's installed (disc filter and air box vac' unit), new gas line/filter,
new vacuum cap's installed on the intake manifold's (removed the Yikeeeeeee's unit)....drained the carb's....flushed them out with carb cleaner a couple of times.....flushed with fresh gas.....cleaned the outside linkage's, etc with brake and part's cleaner (Spray can)....lube' the linkages....use the air line to blow out the air filter....washed out the air cleaner box......DONE...All ready to install....Aaaaaaaaah bugger...."the little, brittle, 1/8" plastic overflow pipe that comes out of the front carb on the left side".
It's late evening, store's are all closed....and I don't have a spare set of carb's on the premises....gone thru' my place.....nothing!!!....Aaaaaaah bugger.....BUT wait.......on the front intake unit that I have just removed and discarded....it had two brass tube's sticking out....the skinny one is, is, yes it sure is.......1/8" or as near as need be......cut it off with a junior hacksaw....clean up the cut face with emery tape/shop roll....drill out the old one....real gentle with that drill!!!....test fit.. :P....a wee touch of epoxy and.....EEEEEEEEEHAA....EUREEKA....it work's.
Put her all back together.....prime the carb's....ignition on....and......hit it....
:-* Oh ye of little faith....SHE RUN'S.... ;D ;D ;D
switch off, clean up....hit the shower....sit down in my favored chair,with the wee wife, my two dog's, a LARGE shot of my favorite single malt....Ahhhhhh, life is just grand.... ;D :D ;) 8)

p.s.The next morning, I took her out for a wee run....no stumble....pulls well....smooth as silk....come to think of it....the best I can remember for a wee while :o  ;D  :D  8) Bring on the OnROV..... 8)

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

d0n

Brian_Matthewson

I know you've been chasing your carb problem for awhile.
Glad to see you've got it beat!  ;D
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

YellowJacket!

Tiger,
I have a couple extras in fairly good condition if you need them.   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

NewVisionGuy

Yeah,  I used that  tubing trick  too. (Thanks to Lucky)   I have an extra set of carbs now.  I still need to come up with a choke plunger to finish them off though.   Glad your up and running again.  I know the feeling when you're so close and something breaks.

Tiger

Quote from: DaveTN on August 02, 2006, 10:37:20 AM
Tiger,
I have a couple extras in fairly good condition if you need them.   ;D

David

Thanks Guy's......Dave.....would you believe I had 2 sets of carb's, that were kinda scuzzy, lying around until the early part of last week...... ::) I gave them to CanadianLou to clean and rebuild....... :o ;D :D ;)..Go figure.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!