Fuel Issue.

High speed fuel starvation?
1 (100%)
Too much fuel?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: August 05, 2006, 01:09:42 PM

roadstar

Hi, I'm a new 550 owner - '82 with unknown mileage (speedo is broken at 6827 miles). Valve line sounds very good. Bike idles o.k., sometimes it's a little low and will stall, other times it's idling around 1200 RPM. I can live with that. My issue is rolling on the throttle at around 45 to 50 MPH  or attempting to add gas to go up a grade, the bike acts like it swallowed it's tongue. Can't tell if it's getting too much fuel or not enough. Any ideas?

Night Vision

add more choices to your poll?

first off, welcome to the site.

second off, that's quite the loaded question....  :o

you need to give more information... 

updated airbox/carbs? have you dipped carbs? have the pilot screw setting caps been pulled, are vac lines good, what jets do you have in the carb tops, are they sync'd? how's the YICS?, how's the manifold boot's
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

roadstar

Well- I've owned the bike for about 4 days now....so, I have no idea about most of what you've asked. Here is what I do know. Got the bike from a guy who used to race Honda Hawks years ago...seems to know what he's doing -- his son is an Engineer for Yoshamura Exhaust. Carbs were cleaned and set according to a Haynes manual. I think the floats are a little off since the overflow drips if the bike is on the side stand. Has a new in-line fuel filter. Tank does have some rust, planning to pull the petcock this weekend and check for clogging; clean / de-rust and Kreem the tank while I have it off. I'll check the boots and vacuum lines at that time. Not sure how to check from the airbox upgrade -- will check other threads for advise unless you can point me to a site/ thread that can assist me. Can you advise as to what I should be checking for concerning the YICS? Any and all advise is appreciated.

Jeff

roadstar

More info -- the bike runs exceptionally well as long as you don't jump on the throttle or even attempt a soft roll-on at highway speeds or trying to climb a grade. Nice easy riding, much the way a "new" rider would ride and the bike is pure joy! Ear to ear smile going down the road. Engine is very smooth -- quite and vibration free....until :(

2VRoy

Here goes my best Lucky impression, your carbs sound like they are still dirty. I had the same problem just about two months ago. The bottom jet in your carburators are dirty or clogged.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=4654.msg38279#msg38279

Follow the above thread. If you fail in this mission we will still be here for help!

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=4654.0 - link fixed.
Keep the rubber side down!

Night Vision

Quote from: roadstar on August 02, 2006, 01:09:43 PM
Bike idles o.k., sometimes it's a little low and will stall, other times it's idling around 1200 RPM.

you should also check the YICS box because it's easy to do. A leaky YICS box can cause erratic idle and other running issues.

You can pull it (that chrome triangle thingy on the right side of carbs) and cap off the lines going to the cylinders. See if it runs differently....
You can test the YCIS by blowing into the hoses to see if there are interior or exterior leaks... there was a good post on this recently (search water test)

If you don't have the YICS box.... then you go onto the next easiest / cheapest thing to eliminate...

The carb/airbox update consists of a vacuum activated flapper door at the back side of the airbox.
;D

roadstar

Thanks guys - I appreciate the advise! Your comments about dirty carbs triggered a comment by the previous owner, in that he added the in-line filter just days before....maybe a little too late , eh? Yes the YICS is in place, I'll pull it as well and give it a once over as per your guidance. I'm quickly developing a real affection for this bike -- it will be fun fixing the things that need fixing. Someone rattle-can painted the tank, I'll probably give it a new paint job this winter. After I get the carb issue resolved, maybe someone can educate me on converting to dual disc up front. I'm also noting that just like my '73 CB750K3, certain parts are just plain out of production and it's hunt and search.

By the way - without a question, this is the finish bike/model specific site I have ever seen. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Jeff

roadstar

let me re-write that last line...."finest" not "finish"....mind working way faster than my fingers as I try to do this between events here at work!

Jeff

Night Vision

any junk in the gas filter? as far as kreem goes.... the "recommended" method here is Por-15. That's a whole bunch of "fun" in a $35 kit  :D

another thing is... there's a couple of members in your neck of the woods.  All ya gotta do is ask... and usually a fully equipped ROVer is ready to be dispatched  ;)
;D

Tiger

Quote from: roadstar on August 02, 2006, 03:49:12 PM
Your comments about dirty carbs triggered a comment by the previous owner, in that he added the in-line filter just days before....maybe a little too late , eh?
Jeff
....like shutting the gate AFTER the horse has bolted.... :o ::) ;D :D ;)

Welcome to your new extended family....We are all here to help each other to get the very best out of our Vision's....and that includes FUN.... ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;) They are a great bike to ride and a real head turner....Get used to people asking...."Whats that your riding"???? or "A Vision....never heard of it" or "its made by...Yamaha???" and a load more.... ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;).. 8) We all love our "V"s....but they can be a little bit... :o  ???

"I think the floats are a little off since the overflow drips if the bike is on the side stand. Has a new in-line fuel filter. Tank does have some rust, planning to pull the petcock this weekend and check for clogging"

I would recommend you start with pulling the gas tank and carb's and giving them a complete cleanout....these carbs demand cleanliness... ::). Install using new gas line AND a new gas filter....Then...... :P
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Sable

If you want to check the YICS, click this link:

http://www.xz550.com/YICS.html

This is a link to Lucky's Site. He has a lot of usefull information here. The above link explains the water test and tells you how to diagnose an internal leak or an external leak. Also, he has info on tank repair and carb repair. It is definitely a site you want to bookmark!

Welcome to ROV,

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

MotorPlow

I think your biggest thing is to sync the carbs. Do not use Kreem, it breaks down when using gas additives. Check for Vacuum leaks. If you set the carbs according to the Haynes Manual, you might be missing a step as the air/fuel mixture is covered with a plug as the factory didn't want you messing with it.

Lucky

Well, it looks like the guys have my usual spiel covered, lol, so i'll go on to other things...
I hereby claim Roadstar as a candidate for SEROV (SouthEast ROV) before NEROV can, although their probably closer  :D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=4941.0
In that thread you will find how to check the YICS with water to check for leaks.

Hope you get it running well.

comatt

My 2 cents, mine was running the same after dipping the carbs three times and replacing the stator.  I got a different TCI and riched up the fuel mix and now it rides great.  I used to have to ride the clutch at stop lights to get going and be careful with twisting on the throttle hard, not any more!

Cleaning the carbs, working TCI (thanks Tdub) and sync'n was the main issues.  I have been commuting 30 miles/day, no probs.

Matt

d0n

Quote from: roadstar on August 02, 2006, 02:32:49 PM
I think the floats are a little off since the overflow drips if the bike is on the side stand.

Jeff

I'm betting your petcock is bad. That's why your carbs leak. Mine does the same thing. You'll know if this is the problem when you unplug your gas hoses from the petcock. With the petcock in the on or reserve positions gas is not supposed to flow from the tank. If it does your petcock is faulty.

I doubt that has anything to do with how your bike runs but it will cause a gas leak from the carb overflow.

h2olawyer

Leak could be any of several things.  Most have been covered - float level too high, bad petcock & Lucky has mentioned that there is an overflow tube in the float bowl that may have been installed too low by Mikuni.  This would have the same effect as a high float setting but could be a real bear to figure out if you had never heard of it before.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

roadstar

Hi all and thank you each for your support and willingness to help. Since I am so very new to ROV, LUCKY, what is the difference between ROV-North and ROV-South?

Latest news: rode the V in this morning to work. Here is what it is doing and what I have noted:
1. Gas tank has been repaired in lowest point on both sides.
2. 0 to 4000 rpm's - runs well with choke off if you are not aggressive with the throttle.
3. 4000 to 5200 rpm's - runs well at all throttle settings.
4. able 5200 rpms' starts to run rough.
5. at full operating temp. it idles at 2700 rpms with choke off / 3200 with choke on. (I'll play with the cable a little over lunch and see what I get on the way home tonight.)

rocketboy

Any thoughts?!?!?

Any one have a PDF or copy of the owners manual they could send to me? I tried to get the seat to release (looks like it works just like the FZ1 I just sold) turn one way to release the helmet lock, turn the other to release the seat -- but the seat doesn't release. I need to see how it is hooked underneath to see what I need to do. I really don't want to harm the seat -- it's very good original.

haunter

the hook for the seat is by the handle to the right of the lock
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

I have all the manuals, diagrams, advertisements, etc, etc, on cd that i sell (pays for the bike stuff) email me if your interested.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black