News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

stroke of genius or bad idea?

Started by Lucky, August 30, 2006, 10:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

my oem Yamaha clutch cable, which i bought just over a year & a half ago, has streched far enough that i'm at the end of my adjustment. it's allways been lubed, and is in very good shape, just streched... adjusting the clutch made it too loose to use, the adjuster would have been out of the handle.

it's possable that they sold me the wrong one, not positive on that.

anyway, a made a slick little piece out of an aluminum 83 "pilot screw adjuster screw plug" to slip between the adjuster and cable end, looks like this:

| |!| |
\|!| /
  |!|

so much for my ascii drawing skills, anyway thre is a slot running the length of it:  |!|
and it fits inside the adjuster, and it's countersunk to accept the cable end too.  i slipped it on & turned it 1/2 way so the slot doesn't line up with the adjuster screw or lock nut.

works like a charm, i have the proper gap on the clutch lever, plenty of adjustment left on the screw, and my clutch activates a nice 1/3 to 1/2 of lever travel.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

sure... as long as you don't saw through it (probably what you mean you when you say you countersunk it)

speaking of clutch cables.... does yours hit or brush the trip knob?

The last oem one I got was real close to the knob with the stock 82 risers. when I went to the 83 risers, I now have plenty of cable, maybe a little too much?

Guess what I'd like to know is....

do all or some 82's with 82 cables brush the knob and
do all or some 83's with 83 cables brush the knob?
are they different part numbers?

I'm almost tempted to get one made   >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

it does brush the knob, but it's never been a problem

QBS

Can't say for sure, but I think Haynes provides a procedure for doing a gross adjustment at the clutch itself.  The lever adjustment mechanism is just for fine adjustment.  Cables don't usually stretch that much.  My '83 is still on its' factory cable with no problems.  I think I may have adjusted it down at the clutch a long time ago, but can't remember for sure.

Yes, the '83 cable does rub the tripmeter reset knob.

Lucky

as noted, i did the clutch adjustment on the right side case.

Tdub

The cable is not stretching...the outer housing is collapsing. Call Motion Pro...They made cables for me for the 750. Really nice ones that will bolt right up...you should have known LOL Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race