dropping a cylinder

Started by bluegillspeed, August 28, 2006, 12:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegillspeed

I'm having trouble with my vision dropping a cyclinder. It doesn't seem to matter what the engine temp is but it doesn't happen when the bike is completely cold. If I stop for a while the Problem seems to go away but then it will happen again after a few miles. If I let the bike totally cool off for several hours then it won't happen for a while. The problem also seems to occur more often on the interstate but has happened in town a few times. My vision is almost a stock 82 with fairing (I believe dealer installed). The only changes I've made so fare are blade fuses, soldered stater and regulator connectors, and new fork seals.

On a second note I'm wondering if anyone has some tricks they recomend for easily replacing both Valve cover gaskets. I know I can get to the front one by moving the radiator but I'm not sure about the rear one. I've noticed a small leak in the rear gasket and figure I should start planning on replacing after what happened to Tailwheel.
82 red with sport fairing

Lucky

Sounds like the rev limiter problem (they tend to go haywire)  just cut the yellow wire with the black tracer at the TCI 6 prong connector. tape over the ends.

bigest thing with the valve cover gaskets is that there are 4 plug seals under each cover that MUST go back on in the proper position or you'll lose oil pressure.  valve covers are not the easiest to do, but it's not like we have a choice there, lol.  dropping the frame brace on the right will help.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Phatjap

Hello here

Have you managed to cure this issue yet with the cylinder dropping? Its sounds very similar to my problem, I've tried a number of things and it hasnt helped.

How about you?

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap