News:

Main Menu

Here we go Again

Started by NewVisionGuy, August 08, 2006, 06:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewVisionGuy

Alright...  got the "cleaned" set of carbs on last week, and I've ridden the bike  several times (about  400 miles total) and it has done an excellent job after it gets warmed up.  The trick is  starting the bike.  The Choke lever  does absolutely nothing. I'm  thinking it's probably the Synch of the carbs since the rear carb housing is the one Lucky donated to help get me going (different model # from what I had, but everything fit).  I've been using the idler screw  to open the flapper a little  and the bike fires right up.  I then adjust the idle down so low that it almost dies and let it warm up (under supervision).  When the engine is warmed up,  I have the turns of the idler  down so that the bike idles around 1500 RPM's. I know this ain't to spec  but it has worked alright so far.    Just a side note...  I have the pilot air jets set at 2.5 turns and 4.5 turns until I can get things Synched.   Aside from  Synching the carbs and resetting the idle, and pilot jets,  does anyone have any other suggestions as to what may cause something like this?  I read a post a few weeks ago where someone else had some problems with the choke lever "killing" the engine and starting the bike with no choke.  I couldn't find it agian though.  Any help guys?

Extent

Well I've found that when I take my YICS off that the choke kills the engine, and its easier to start without (or maybe choke on for 2 - 3 seconds, then full off)

You should defenatly get the sync checked, then adjust the pilots right.  If they're off it'll make a dramatic difference in the attitude of the bike especially while starting.  From there I'ld look for vaccum leaks.  IMO it's really quite uselss to speculate wildly what could be wrong until you've checked the basics.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

Seconded.

you have to set up the carbs first, then chase problems, what your doing is like  putting a pan under a leaky faucet & complaining because the pan is full of water... 8)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

NewVisionGuy

Yes  Sir  that 's what I'm doing  ;)   For now the bike is running well enough.  I'm going to change out those rear brake  bolts and move the R&R  today.  There's a lot that needs done and there's only so much time in a day.

jasonm.

That idle setting 2.5 and 4.5 out is strickly a guess. I have had 5 Visions ...all had different settings that worked best. Try changing the idle mixture settings. My last '82 ran best about 4 turns out both carbs. This was verified with my digital tach at idle. My '83 likes about the same...about 3.5 out.Is your exhaust stock? or have holes? Then these issues must be considered when adjusting the screws.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules