B.S. Postings

Started by 67GTO, August 09, 2006, 05:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

Dear Admin.

Is there a way to remove the B.S. postings and ban that person/company from posting?

Thanks!
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

Ron may have to do something like in order to register (not post) you have to type in the 'artsy letters & numbers on the background to verify your not a bot...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

ok, who are the 6 that went to the cs&bd gallery? fess up.... I recently hid my email in my profile because I don't need that crap going to my email.

can a bot really get on the forum, create a user name, go to the off topic section and post garbage?

I dunno......   ??? just asking....
is it time to have a nominal subscription fee? I dunno......   ??? just asking....

btw... great timing on that growing larger and staying errect longer joke there Tiger  :D :D I though that was spammy at first  >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Yeah, my SPAM on the email I use for this site has jumped out the roof.  Used to get 25 day, now it is 175+ day.  Gmail is very good at filtering it out but its just annoying to have to look through it to make sure something important didn't end up  in mu spam bucket.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

::) Something has to be done about this B.S.....my spam count has, like Dave's, spiralled....... :o

Thanks N_V, had a good giggle when I first saw it... ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

admin

let me clarify couple of things.
if you do not want your email address displayed in messages, then
change the setting in your profile. ( click profile on the menu above )

everyone is getting spammed, you're no different than anyone else.
the company I work for intercepts anywhere from 800-1200 spam messages
trying to get into the system per day.

I understand that occasionally a spammer gets onto the board and posts garbage.
I didn't bother to lock the board down in the past because it's never been an
issue but will do so now.

if you have a problem or a question, send me a pm.
there really isn't any need to create yet another post to complain about the
bs postings.....

-Ron

Riche

Ron

Thanks for giving us this forum.

Riche

kiawrench

Ron,
    this forum is still really clean compared to others i go to. the trick here fellas, is dont click the links in the postings, and when a post opens, you can tell in a split second if it is a rider or a bot. if it looks like a bot, click out . it still takes about 7 seconds for the bot to catch your addy. plenty of time to escape with the back key, or x the forum and dodge it .

Ron has done a great job building and protecting us,, but as with anything else, someone made it a point to find a way in, the new access to the forum (sign in just to even read forum) is a big step ,but realise, Ron has been pushed to this point by hackers.

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

67GTO

Ron

I posted my note after a long hard day, I did not mean to sound upset with you or this web site. I really
appreciate the wealth of information I gained from here. I can't imagine the work involved in keeping this going.

Thanks
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Extent

Well that's unfortunate, but that's all I'll say.  I will try to not tell you how to run the place :p.  I know running a forum is a pain in the ass, maybe it's time to get a mod or two?  With the exposure this site gets online the bot problem will only be getting worse.

Quoteit still takes about 7 seconds for the bot to catch your addy. plenty of time to escape with the back key, or x the forum and dodge it

That's not quite how this works, you've got two different things going on here.  The spam bots are just that, spam.  There's no code that runs in their posts or on your computer and they can't tell who you are unless you give them your email addy on one of the pages they link to.  They either run automatically or semi-automatically and they create a new account, post the advertisements and then are gone forever, if the bot hits again it will likely create another new account each time it visits.  Captchas are probably the most effective anti-bot countermeasure, but only if you're using one that hasn't been broken yet.

The email harvesters are either just the regular spiders that look for any email address in any page (forum or not) or inteligent harvesters that just hit up the member list automatically.  Forced sign in will keep the dumbest of harvesters out, but it's trivial for them to use the same automated sign-up code that the spam bot uses, and any one that would be targetted to a specific board software I would assume is garaunteed to have that.  There are a couple of things an admin can do to prevent email harvesting, but really that responsibility lies with the user.  If you don't want your addy being picked up use a fake one, or an alt, or a throwaway address.  That's logic that applies to the entire internet, and not just forums *shrug*.

QuoteRon has been pushed to this point by hackers.

No hackers involved with these issues.  Your run of the mill spammer is only running premade scripts and applications, and they have very little desire to crash or deface your site (they're trying to use you to advertise, remember?)  The only people who can realy do anything to prevent hacker attacks against the board in this case would be the SMF dev team.  Secure code keeps a hacker out, nothing else.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.