News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What Gives??? Bike Idling at 4500 RPM now

Started by crackerkorean, August 13, 2006, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Ok no problem. The plates not closing didnt come up till yesterday when I noticed it.

At least im getting practice pulling the carbs.

The thing that has be puzzled is that its the rear carb not closing all the way.
So even if the front one was closed and set properly i should get ignition from it right?

Just thinking that I have two different problems.
I am wondering if the previous owner took the butterfly off. I will look at it again tonight.

JakeC

My guess would be that your flooding the front to the point where it can't fire.  The whole purpose of syncing is to align the butterflies, therefore equalizing the vacuum.  So, if one is staying open part way, your sync will be way, way, way, way...(well, you get the idea) off ;D.  You mentioned that when you really rip on the throttle, the front will fire.  That would make sense, because you're opening the butterfly and allowing more air in. The flooding condition would lessen, and you'll get ignition.  Those are my thoughts on it.  If I am incorrect on anything, someone please correct me, so I don't just add to the problem ::)!

Jake

crackerkorean

Quote from: JakeC on August 16, 2006, 09:16:11 AM
My guess would be that your flooding the front to the point where it can't fire.  The whole purpose of syncing is to align the butterflies, therefore equalizing the vacuum.  So, if one is staying open part way, your sync will be way, way, way, way...(well, you get the idea) off ;D.  You mentioned that when you really rip on the throttle, the front will fire.  That would make sense, because you're opening the butterfly and allowing more air in. The flooding condition would lessen, and you'll get ignition.  Those are my thoughts on it.  If I am incorrect on anything, someone please correct me, so I don't just add to the problem ::)!

Jake

while the carbs were on the bench i synced by eye to make sure that both are slightly open and was able to sync without the front firing.

When i rip on the throttle it only fires as the throttle is being turned. It will not fire if I have the bike revving at a constant 4k.

does the idle circuit still flow fuel while the butterfly is open? If so, if the idle circuit is not flowing fuel would this make sense that its not getting enough fuel even at a higher RPM.

Im thinking at that the fuel from the acclerator pump is helping fire when the throttle is turned but when its revving at a constant the acclerator pump is not dumping any fuel. And there is a fuel coming from the venturi. (I know I watched it.)

JakeC

I think I understand where you're at now.  To recap...your butterflies now line up and both can close properly.  You were then able to properly sync even though the front wasn't firing.  At idle, the front won't fire.  You rip on the throttle, the accel. nozzle squirts a shot of gas, and the front fires.  If you hold it there, once the squirt from the nozzle tapers off, the front stops firing.  I don't have any ideas right now, maybe somebody else can chip in.  Maybe you should just design a fuel injection system and then show us all how to do it ;D!!

Jake

crackerkorean

Thats all correct jake execpt for the butterflies closing.
The front one can close all the way but the rear cannot. So I adjusted the syunc rod so they were both slightly open.

But other than that yes thats all correct.

JakeC

Ok, I see.  I still think your first priority, then, should be to figure out why the one won't close completely, and try to fix it.  Just to help eliminate that as a problem.  The more things you can eliminate, the closer you will be to a fix.  When I'm troubleshooting, if I try to work around an obvious problem, just because I don't think that it is critical, I've noticed that that's when I just start chasing my tail.

Jake

crackerkorean

I plan on pulling the carbs tonight.
I never noticed the butterflies till last night.

Where does the fuel come from while the bike is idling?
I think what I blew out last night was the air passage for the idle but not fuel.

To answer your question night vision my friend is well versed in bikes in general. Hes build a few race motors and generally has at least one bike tore apart in his kitchen.

crackerkorean

Ok im a moron again LOL
Thebutter fly closes just fine when the idle screw is backed off all the way.

Where do the 4 little holes that are by the butterfly go? I want to make sure they are blown and cleaned out.

Also what else do I look for?

Lucky

I think your synq rod is way off..

here is what i want you to do: (if the carbs are off, this will be easier)

Remove the synq rod, & back the thumb screw all the way off. both throttles should now be completely closed.

loosen the lock nut on the synq rod & adjust it so you can slip it on & off the posts on the linkage easily, without having to move either carbs throttle linkage then put it on with the clips.

turn the thumb screw in untill the butterflies JUST BARELY open.

start the bike. they may be closed too much to start/idle, if so keep adjusting the thumbscrew till the bike starts & tach reads 1300.  you may need to have the bike jumped to a non-running car since it may take a lot of cranking to get the thumb screw adjusted enough to fire the bike.  don't ruin your starter by overcranking, no more than 15 seconds at a time.

synq & set the pilots, you should be 'good to go'

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

But while i have the carbs off I want to blow the 4 little holes out. Just to be safe.
I dont want to remove the carbs again.

Lucky

Quote from: crackerkorean on August 16, 2006, 10:50:31 PM

~Smirk~...Snicker~..hehehe...  why do you think we are all coating out intakes with liquid electrical tape or replacing them? lol

sorry, couldn't resist...

JakeC

Quote from: Lucky on August 16, 2006, 11:05:07 PM

~Smirk~...Snicker~..hehehe...  why do you think we are all coating out intakes with liquid electrical tape or replacing them? lol

Yup, just finished coating mine!  They sure do look nice, now!!

Are you talking about the tiny holes on the sidewall of the throat?  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what they do.

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on August 16, 2006, 11:05:07 PM
Quote from: crackerkorean on August 16, 2006, 10:50:31 PM

Did mine a couple of week's ago....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

crackerkorean

I was looking at the butterfly of the firont carb and noticed that there was  what looks to be the reminantes of collected gas on the butterfly that has evaporated.

Could i be constantly dumping fuel?

How long will gasoline residue stay behind on the butterfly. Just curious if this is old or new.

crackerkorean

Well its getting better woot!!!!!

But now there is smoke coming from the front cylinder. I dont know if its from oil or some sucked in tranny fluid from syncing. But it ran for several minutes and still smoked a little.

I dont know what burning oil smells like. And i cant tell by looks, its getting dark and my headlight has a blueish lense.

Also what does it take to toast a set of rings. Just hoping. its not the case

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

crackerkorean

What is it, how can I fix it, and is it rideable.

JakeC

If it seems to be running fine, I would go for a cruise with it and see if it clears up.  It could also be from being out of tune, yet.  The first time I rebuilt my carbs, it smoked when I started it up.  I just kept tuning it and riding it and it cleared up.  If I remember right, one of my pilots was way off and it was running super rich.  Sounds like you're headed in the right direction, though!!!

crackerkorean

I will work on the brakes tomorrow and tuning but it smokes all the time. Thats what scaring me.

Lucky

Absolutly Ditto what Jake said.

so, What exactly did you do to get it running better?