News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What Gives??? Bike Idling at 4500 RPM now

Started by crackerkorean, August 13, 2006, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I will get the brakes fixed and go for a ride.
I did notice that it smoked little but constantlly fron my exhaust leak up front. But at first it was really bad and it got better but not gone. I will go for a ride and see if I can get it working.

I did the sync like you said lucky but I also sprayed the idle holes with tons of carb cleaner and then blew them all out alot

YellowJacket!

Smoke may be a result of "tons of carb cleaner" ;D

Glad you're heading in the right direction cracker!!

Also, take into consideration that an exhaust leak will have an effect on your carb tuning due to a reduction in back pressure.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

crackerkorean

Yea I gotta get some exuahst sealer this weekend. I want to get the smoke thing sorted out first though.

YellowJacket!

Is the exhaust leak coming from a hole or just a poor seal?

David

crackerkorean

YellowJacket!

I would use a proper exhaust gasket to seal the pipes before I used exhaust sealer.
just my 0.0125342677

David

Extent

Quote from: DaveTN on August 17, 2006, 10:34:46 PM
Also, take into consideration that an exhaust leak will have an effect on your carb tuning due to a reduction in back pressure.

Ditto to that, I just welded up the hole in my exhaust last week and it made a dramatic change in my slight stumble and in midrange smoothness.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

crackerkorean

I do have the proper gaskets. Its where the head meets the exhaust on the front. I have two new gaskets on one side and one new and one old on the other. I spent 4 hours trying to get it right and thats the closest I could get.

Also im beginning to wonder if its been like this for a while because i noticed that the bike warmed up pretty quick where before it would take 15 minuts. I wonder if its been like this since day one. And if thats the case this bike is going to be alot faster.

louthepou

Recently, I put a used MAC on my (still not running) yellow Vision. One of the "collars" on the MAC for the front cylinder was not in great shape. I took a spare "stock" collar, welded it to the MAC collar, and voila - the exhaust is now attached to the cylinder head.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

crackerkorean

I thought about doing something likethat lou but for me time is running out for the next nine weeks.

I will be in classes 4 nights a week till 10 everynight and still working full time.
I might use the gasket sealer stuff to get my by for now.

crackerkorean

Well its all back together. The rear brake is installed (thanks tiger)

I took it up and down the road and it bogged really bad in 1st around 4500 but in second it really didnt.

I still need to sync and tune the carbs.
I am still not too sure about riding with a nylock nut instead of the cottered bolt that yamaha.
I was thinking about lok tighting the nut so that I can ride and get some more rididng time before school starts on monday.

Lucky

Just so you know, I synqed Daves carbs this afternoon, and he's been riding the bike after 'eyeballing' the synq for a while now, & had thought the bike ran well.

Let me tell you, they were WAY off! and now the bike runs like...

i'll let him tell you..

Synq 'em!  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

After syncing, the difference is phenominal!!  When we started it up with the syng gauge hooked up,  couldn't believe what I was looking at and I think Lucky was quite surprized too.  I wont "hijack your thread, so you can read about it here: http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=5086.0

David

jasonm.

Regarding the front MAC exhaust. I have a set. Yes, the front was not welded properly. Thus it was impossible to get a sealing of the surfaces. The two pipes should sit flat when on a flat surface. Take your MAC to a welder to build up them up. Then flat grind/sand them. You neeeed a stable(bench) sanding wheel to do this.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules