News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Think I've had enough PART II (No luck or extremely lucky, you decide)

Started by zore, August 22, 2006, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

So the Vision is down and out.  I'll take my trusty Triumph sprint out to work as I usually do.  On the way home however, Bambi decided he couldn't take it anymore and jumped in front of me.  I'm a little banged up, but my phoenix gear and helmet are toast.  The deer left it's insides all over my bike.  I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I know not more than a minute or 2 before I was passing 4 cars and doing an indicated 135.  I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I've tested out my Joe rocket Phoenix gear and shoei helmet.   I've been had my license 12+ years now and have had some pretty close calls.  I guess it was my time.  Shame it took out such a great bike and my mp3 player.  I'll add pics of my helmet, it saved my noggin.  BUT I WILL RIDE ANOTHER DAY!!!!    ;D  The brown stuff is deer poop.

http://www.m900.net/images/P/ohdeer/
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

VisionaryDan

Wow I'm so sorry hear about your accident. I hit a deer about 3 months ago in my car coming back from my girl friends house on some back roads in Jersey. From then on When I take the bike especially at night I take main highways.

Since then I always wondered what damage one would do to a bike. How are you? You said your banged up anything broken? Or do you just have a case of bad road rash? If there is anything I can do let me know. I'm over in Jersey a few nights a week anyway.

Thank God it wasn't worse,

Dan

Night Vision

Quote from: zore on August 22, 2006, 07:54:49 PM
I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I know not more than a minute or 2 before I was passing 4 cars and doing an indicated 135. 

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( umm, what happened to risk management?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

Quote from: Night Vision on August 22, 2006, 08:20:05 PM
Quote from: zore on August 22, 2006, 07:54:49 PM
I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I know not more than a minute or 2 before I was passing 4 cars and doing an indicated 135. 

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( umm, what happened to risk management?

I know, I know but I can probably count on one hand how often I let my hair down on that thing.   Was I going too fast at the time of the accident?  Yeah, I was probably doing an indicated 75 which is probably real world 60ish since the triumph speedo isn't really close.   I also was wearing full gear which I believe still fits under risk managment with a little "pssst, no ones looking".   I don't think there are that many people that can say it took them 12 years to become one with the road.    ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Glad you are mostly OK!  Those deer & other wildlife can be very difficult to see & unpredictable.  Hope your Triumph is salvageable.  Get what injuries you do have healed soon!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

geez zore,,, that looks like a bit more than a weekend fix up,, but she is up on her own, you will get her fixed up soon. hope you arent hurt any,,    guess deer doesnt have the guts to try that trick again?   
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

zore

I have full coverage on this bike so I'll be calling the insurance company tomorrow. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Mutt

Glad you wasn't hurt too bad! I think you've had your run of bad luck all in a week. Hopefully your good to go for many years to come.

OK, now it's time to pop a whole case of Wood Chuck!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Serendipity

Wow! So glad you are ok! So are we having venison this weekend? ;)
Btw, a member of my Women in the Wind chapter had her first accident a couple of weekends ago.....first time in 43 years of riding her own. Pretty good record. (she was ok, btw, just some road rash)

don_vanecek

Geez, I hate to even imagine what a crash like that would do to my old body. About four nights a week about 10-11 PM, I do my seven mile drive though the country to my home and if there is no traffic around I will often linger about 50 mph just because I fear the deer. Usually a week doesn't go by that there is not a dead one along the road on my route. Will a "Support your local deer hunter" sticker fit on the V?

zore

Just called my insurance company.  Looks like all my gear is covered including my helmet.  Hurray for insurance.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

dj

Glad to hear that you are doing okay, and that your insurance company is paying for the damage.  How bad is the bike?  It doesn't look to bad in the picture.  Is it mostly "cosmetic"?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

hfarley

Hey Zore, give me a hollar if you need something. I am really close to you. I hope you are ok! That is great news to hear about the insurance. What company do you use BTW? Did you take pictures of the helmet as well and the gear? I was jsut wondering what kind of damage those pieces sustained. Thank goodness for great gear! Good luck on the rebuild and again don't hesitate to call me if you need something. Send me an email and I will send you my number.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Tiger

:).....Bike fix 'n B.B.Q. at Zore's place this week-end... :o ;D :D.Bring your own wood chuck.... ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
;).......Joking apart, I'm pleased your not badly battered......just goes to prove that you should wear all the gear ALL the time.
....As for speed....who cares, we all have a blast now and again, some more than others...and 12 years is good goin'.....My first bike, I dropped less than one hour into my first ride  :-[ .....and wrapped her around a lamp pole 4 day's later :o  Oh to be 16 again ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

actually Zore... you have inspired me. I want to thank you for the wake up call... today on a 250mi jaunt with my bro, I wore full protection.. even my full face helmet ( I hate full face helmets but I went to the dentist yesterday for my 6 mnth cleaning  ;D )

I also totally agree with your method of hitting deer........always aim for for the ass

when ever you see a deer in the road, aim for the hind quarter... I've never seen a deer run backwards. who knows?  you may get lucky and miss the little pooper
:D

(maybe next time  >:( )
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

The deer has forced my hand and I'm going to have to ride the Vision for the rest of the year.  I found that the Red, Black, Brown connector was burned.  I moved the regulator and soldered those wires together, but it really hasn't improved much.  It did go up to 13.2 volts but hung around 12.8 with no head light.  I'm convinced it's the rectifier given what I've read.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Zore,

I'm sorry I'm a little late in responding but I'm really glad you are ok.  Bikes are a lot easier to fix than people are and I'm glad your protective equipment served its purpose.
I just got a new Joe Rocket Meteor jacket and it looks like its hot and heavy to many people but its really not.  Some people have asked me why I want to wear such a heavy jacket and sweat.  I think I'll just carry around one of your pictures as proof.

Gald you are OK.  :)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

d0n

wow- glad to hear youre ok and you have full coverage insurance.