News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

"Stop Leak"

Started by MotorPlow, September 03, 2006, 08:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Is there any type of "Stop Leak" that will work on the Vision? I did the Baby Powder Test to locate the leak. One was at the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and easily fixed. The other 2 are at the Shift Shaft Seal and just below the Oil Sight Glass on the Left Side Case. I already fixed the Shift Shaft Seal once, but appears to have gone South again. I need to order the seal and pull the left side case again. I would like to push this off until the weather gets Slushy. Is there any type of oil stop leak that would be safe for the vision and it's wet clutch? Just curious.....

vavision

... what's the baby powder test?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

louthepou

Don't put any 'mystery stuff" in your engine. You could do more damage than the oil leak will ever do. If it's leaking because there's a damaged o-ring or gasket somewhere, a new part is what's needed.

If you have an old Ford Tempo or a Buick Skylark you want to sell, and it's leaking from everywhere, then sure I'd pour some goo in the engine or cooling system. But that's the only reasonable use of these things (that being my humble opinion...)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

the baby powder test:
clean the area of the suspected leak, use brake cleaner (expensive, but evaporates & leaves no residue)

liberally coat the area with baby powder, start the bike & let it idle. the powder will turn the color of the leaking fluid & show the source.

cleans up easily.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vavision

Lucky you kill me. Brake cleaner costs less than $2.00 and I have a feeling that baby powder costs a bit more...

Anyway- definately cool. Next time I have a fluid problem I'm going to try that.

Lucky

Decent brake cleaner usually costs me 4-5 bucks...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

Looks like I will be marking my territory until winter... Thanx.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on September 04, 2006, 12:07:14 PM

Wecome to the South my friend...much cheaper down these parts.... ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vavision

Quote from: DaveTN on September 04, 2006, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Lucky on September 04, 2006, 12:07:14 PM

Wecome to the South my friend...much cheaper down these parts.... ;D

David

Amen, the most expensive brake cleaner here is $3.50 and that's with 15% more free!

MotorPlow

Just bought Brake Cleaner at Wally World (With 25% more Free) - $1.88

jasonm.

brake cleaners...some are better than others. I use the Wearever from Advance Auto...non-chlorinated...won't hurt most plastics or paint. CRC "green" is also excellent.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

jasonm.

I forgot one thing. Brake clean..the quicker it evaps..usually the better it is.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

glennw

And when your V  stator goes and it just chaps your ass....  >:(
You have some powder for it!  ;D
(Brake cleaner not recommended)    ;)
Half Mad Max

Tiger

Quote from: kiawrench on September 17, 2006, 07:43:49 PM
... in more tender areas, it can dry it to point of creating cracks, and they bleed,, oh do they bleed .

..... ???.... ???.... ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!