how fast are they?

Started by 69shovel, September 05, 2006, 09:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69shovel

vision have nice styling, and they are comfortable, but how fast are they? it seems like the most anyone has ever done was put an exhaust on. ya'll got any dyno numbers or dragstrip et's? thanks
-Jay

69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

haunter

the 'stock' new factory times I see are 12.9ish
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

MotorPlow

Quote from: 69shovel on September 05, 2006, 09:48:42 AM
vision have nice styling, and they are comfortable, but how fast are they? it seems like the most anyone has ever done was put an exhaust on. ya'll got any dyno numbers or dragstrip et's? thanks
-Jay

I don't know too many drag strips that aren't flat and straight. Find me a drag strip with some switchbacks and we will talk.

louthepou

Visions? Fast? He he heglkflphtwblblb...

Sorry, I choked on my own saliva.

;)

Really, the Vision's from another era, it handles like an old japanese bike from the early 80's, goes like one, stops like one, turns like one...

So: "hinged" frame, poor brakes, top speed  of... I don't know, what do you say folks, near 100 mph? And a fun, peppy small V engine.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Mutt

I know mine will go well over 85 but I don't want to have to replace the speedo. The thing is...it gets to 85 darn quick! I can surprise an unsuspecting Toyota Prius off the line 9 times out of 10!  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

XZv2

A 1982 Euro model reached 184,5 kph in Germany during a long-distance test in 1983. That is corrected kilometers and a flat-out riding position. In mph this is 114.7 mph.
Sitting upright the same bike reached 165 kph = 102.6 mph. The bike reached the same figures at the beginning and at the end of a 25.000 km test. See xz550.nl, long-distance test.
Remember that a US model, with the different gearing, would probably have figures with a smaller difference. See the test with the comment of the testers.
XZv2

Extent

Well US gearing top speed is supposed to be 114 mph.  I can say for certain that it'll do 104.8 with ease as indicated by a calibrated digital speedo (that's from roughly a 50 mph roll on for about 1/4 mile)

Heavey performance mods are defenatly somewhat of a rarity, due in part, I think at least, to a lack of aftermarket support.  It's not entirely unheard of however.  I know Blake is one of several with custom exhaust systems, and Tdub had the engine bored out to 750 among other things.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

69shovel

thats cool, i'm not too much on top speed. i was just wondering because the biggest thing i have ever rode was an old 500 4 cyl. suzuki. i have a problem with not being able to stay out of the gas and i don't want anything too fast for a first bike. thanks for the help dudes.
-Jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

Extent

It's been my first bike and I've found it very forgiving even if a bit heavey.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

louthepou

Hey Jay, you're not alone. I sold my souped-up FJ1100 years ago...

"Stayin'-alive"-Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic