News:

Main Menu

what is Buffalo leather

Started by hfarley, September 05, 2006, 12:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok to put it bluntly is this crap or not?
ebay item number: 250025107735   
I am going to assume that it is because the price is outregeaously cheap but let me know.
-Heather
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buffalo-Leather-7pc-Motorcycle-SaddleBag-Luggage-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84147QQihZ015QQitemZ250025107735QQrdZ1
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

The leather is possibly water buffalo or some other product imported from Africa or Asia.  American Bison leather is normally kind of expensive.  You can expect to pay quite a bit more for it than you would for cowhide.  All those bags for the price makes me think they're not of great quality.  The most likely problems will be the zippers & seams.  But it's not a lot of money at risk & with gentle use, they may work for quite a while.

I've said it before - I really like the ballistic cloth (nylon) soft luggage.  Durable, easy to clean & easy to install or remove.

Just my $0.02

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

I measured one of my soft bags (vintage original 83 model year Yamaha (made by Vetter?)).

length (front to rear) = 16' at bottom, tapering to 13" at the top
height = 12"
width (side to side) = 9"

They fit above the passenger pegs.  If time permits in the next couple days, I'll put them on & get some photos to email you.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

Thanks H2O! You don't need to take a picture. I just needed the height, width, and length. You have enough going on at home right now.
Thanks again!
-Heather

hfarley

Ok I asked the seller of th4e first set what kind of buffalo it was made out of and he said American Bison. Then I asked him where it was made and he said China. Does that sound a little off to anyone else? I just don't want to get taken on a deal that sounds really good. Almost to good to be true. If American Bison is more expensive than Leather than why is a 7 piece luggage set going for $41.99?? Any other thoughts?
-Heather

Night Vision

top of the line leather saddlebags are made from cows (maybe that's why that cow was eyeballin me yesterday, he was happy he wasn't a saddlebag  :D )

I agree with H20, go for some ballistic/cordura soft bags. I've got some Nelson-Rigg bags that are ok, have hard plastic forms to keep their shape, and didn't cost a whole lot.

Chase-Harper is good stuff too... I'm sure there are others.

The second bags look ok, but the bags that I'm talking about have a wide velcro strap that holds them together and goes across the seat, and have quick release straps/buckles with lots of adjustment that go to the frame and behind the tail light.

"Under the seat" just didn't work for me. "Attach with leather strings" doesn't sound real secure, but does make them universal.

JMHO
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

American bison leather is getting to be more available all the time.  There's a ranch about 30 miles north of me that has several thousand head & they are all raised for meat.  All that leather has to go somewhere.  With the cheap labor in China, it is less expensive to ship the materials over there & have the bags made, then ship them back than it would be to have them built here.

The low price is because he has little overhead beyond the materials costs per set.  No name brand, minimal advertising and the leather may be some of the thinner parts of the skins - hard to know for sure.  But at that price, it's almost worth the gamble - if you aren't trying to avoid buying items made in China . . ..

Tourmaster (Cortech) & Joe Rocket also make good soft nylon luggage.  But, for the name brand stuff, you will pay $75 & up for saddle bags alone at retail prices.  They can be found on sale at many internet dealers, though.

H2O

Lucky

I just bought a pair of Diamond Plate buffalo leather chaps, & they are a good weight, the zippers are meaty, & they were less than $40 (but i bought them at the flea market)

for the price i think i'll get my moneys worth out of them, i used to have a buffalo jacket & it was inexpensive but lasted longer than i would have thought.

i think the thing about buffalo leather is that it's generally smaller pieces for some reason, & therefore is 'patched' together.  doesn't seem to affect strength, although i'm sure it does.

with the chaps i figured any leather is better than none, i currently ride in jeans, & simply haven't got the money right now for riding pants.. wish i did, but that's life.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Well I emailed the seller back and asked him about durability and he said that he had been using this same set on his bike for a year and a half so far with no problems. I am going to keep looking around because basically I don't like the patchwork style. But if I don't find something soon that I like I will probably buy a set for a starter set. You do get a bunch of pieces for the money. If I end up getting this set I will let you guys know how good/bad it is. Thanks!
-Heather

kiawrench

Heather, the seller is dishonest. period.
  all of those items are made in pakistan, asia, and little shops on the outskirts of hell ,sewn by kids with sally struthers hovering behind them making feed the children ads.

i am not going to go all PETA on you, and i wont quote usda data either. but i will say it is not possible for these items to be bison .
instead, i will refer you to a store that has what you are looking for at a price you can pay.

http://www.discount-leather.net/mimage/BLS005.html 

this store has a series of articles that explain what each type of leather is, how it gets made, what can be made from it ,and a great assortment of  goods to choose from in each type of leather that can be used for each item.
i have bought several thousand dollars worth of goods from them in the last 6 years, giving away many as gifts, and so far , have only had one item that did not work as described, the zipper broke on my own chaps- which they replaced at no charge and i still havethe first pair-- they didnt want them back. that says a lot for any company.
please check the site before you buy "buffalo" anything on e-bay.

there are buffalo items on this site, but they are labeled as such, i know from personal experience the buffalo he stocks is not for everyone,it took a month to be able to wear my chaps when i first got them,, lot of saddle saop needed to soften them up .

oh,, if anyone really wants rain gear, they sell that too,, and it isnt cheap stuff!  works better than my aerostitch setup .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Brian Moffet

Quote from: kiawrench on September 11, 2006, 07:55:05 PM
all of those items are made in pakistan, asia, and little shops on the outskirts of hell ,sewn by kids with sally struthers hovering behind them making feed the children ads.

Sally runs a different sweatshop in a different locale.

really.

honest.

Brian

kiawrench

thanks Brian,,, my bad,, forgot ,, she prefers the ones that look almost dead already, not the ones able to work .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

glennw

Send us a photo lucky... out here chaps are big with the tank top crowd..
But make sure you have pant's on too...OK?
Just kidding! If I going to buy something to protect my legs..
I wanna save my ass too!
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Lucky

I repeat

Quote from: Lucky on September 05, 2006, 05:35:51 PM
with the chaps i figured any leather is better than none, i currently ride in jeans, & simply haven't got the money right now for riding pants.. wish i did, but that's life.

Mutt

After seeing Zore's pictures, especially the pants, a cup fitting would probably be in order!  :P

Oh and check the tag and make sure it doesn't say "Kathy Lee" inside too. She uses kiddie power for products too.

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Mutt

Quote from: glennw on September 12, 2006, 10:27:53 PM
Send us a photo lucky... out here chaps are big with the tank top crowd..
But make sure you have pant's on too...OK?
Just kidding! If I going to buy something to protect my legs..
I wanna save my ass too!
GlennW

It's disturbing, the amount of chapless ass I mean assless chaps you see at the gap! Motorplow and I were discussing the probabilites of falling off the bike and having your ass cheeks be the first contact with the ground....OUCH!  :o

"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Like Lucky said - they're better than jeans.  They look better on women, though.   ;D

The more time I spend riding in one piece armored leathers, the better I like them.  Comfortable from 45 ~ 90 degrees (F).  Glad I got perforated ones in a light color, though.  Dark ones would be a real roaster here in the sun & anything over 85 (F).  Well worth the investment.  These were under $500 & they fit me well off the rack.  The sleeves are a little short but otherwise, I really like them.  I put the armored ballistic cloth jacket & pants away after buying the leathers & haven't missed them at all.  I highly recommend full leathers - either one or two piece (with full circumfrence attachment zipper).  Just make sure they fit well (tight) and are in colors / perforations that match your climate.  Before I got them, I didn't know what I was missing.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

H2O

Lucky

Quote from: Mutt on September 13, 2006, 12:26:34 AM
It's disturbing, the amount of chapless ass I mean assless chaps you see at the gap! Motorplow and I were discussing the probabilites of falling off the bike and having your ass cheeks be the first contact with the ground....OUCH!  :o

My ass is naturally padded....

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 13, 2006, 02:27:32 AM
Like Lucky said - they're better than jeans.  They look better on women, though.   ;D
H2O

my wife & Serendipity aparently dissagree on who they look better on.. :>
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=5226.msg44120#msg44120