News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

More mods to the XZ (also playing with the flapper.)

Started by zore, September 10, 2006, 09:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

Since the departure of my deer.. i mean dear sprint st due to an hunting accident, the XZ has had to fill the void.  After thinking long and hard of what the xz needed, a small fairing off my m900 was added.  Now what?  Factory triumph heated grips were added.  The gps was added.  The next and last thing will be the BMW socket for my heated vest. 

On a side note, while I had the tank off, I decided to see if the flapper on the air box worked since I asn't really sure.  I pluged the vacum hoses and fired her up.  I gave it a fair amount of throttle but the flapper never opened.  I checked the flapper by sucking on the air hose and it opened right up.  The next experiment was to tie it open.  This gave me 2 impressions.  The 82 carbs seem to lack a mid speed circut since it just bogged at anything over 1/4 throttle.  However, if I could get the rpm up and get it passed that spot, it took off like a raped ape.  It certainly feels like it has more power and there for I don't think the flapper is opening.  I decided to hook a vacume gauge to the port and really didn't notice much vacume if any.

Realizing that I can't ride the thing like this.  I decided to take it the other direction and adjust the pod so that It was more forward.  This, should be similar to add more weight to the flapper as some have done.  The result was the total removal of what little stumble I had.  I can't determine if the flapper opens but given what I'm seeing now, I believe it is.  But I also added a smidge more fuel in the fuel mixture to try to clean up some of the bog that I had when I forced the flapper open.  Who knows, but it runs better.

The Plan:

If I can keep the XZ running it can take the place of the sprint as my daily commuter and maybe get something more sport oriented like that sexy Daytona 675.  Yummy.  Or I could just put a few bucks into the Monster that I already have and call it a day.  Althought the Monster is pretty sporty with the clipons and rear sets, I've never owned a purpose built sport bike and really would like too.  I guess I'll know what to do when the insurance company pays up.  I'll keep you posted.  Until then, I have warm, toasty hands.   ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

supervision

mine likes to be part way open, to begin with.  Also I prefer to not close the throtle very much when shifting, makes for better forward progress
" border="0

haunter

I'll have to check the next time I take the tank off!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Kevin