News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New noise....and carb sync tool?

Started by Phatjap, September 13, 2006, 07:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatjap

Ok, now she's developed a new noise.....a ticking sound much like the starter clutch but not quite so severe, it's when I rev the bike, only goes away occasionaly....any ideas.?
Secondly, I remember seeing a post of some ones home made manometer with a pipe, I can't seem to find it again...could someone who knows please post it here for me, I think I will have a bash at making one up.

Many thanks,

Phatty.
Skype me. Phatjap

Mutt

It's on Lucky's site..xz550.com under the carb section.

Here's the link.  http://www.xz550.com/tips.html

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

the noise may either be loose balance shaft drive or friven nuts, or perhaps top end noise. (you can hear it now that the clutch is quiet)

$4 manometer:
http://www.xz550.com/art_files/4dollarmano.jpeg
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

don't bother with the one Mutt linked, it's a pain. i have to change that page one ofthese days...

Phatjap

Thankyou thankyou. Quick as lightening.

Ermmm, sorry....how do I connect it?

Skype me. Phatjap

Lucky

the manometer?
I think a short explanation of how it works is in order:

the manometer is simply a tube filled with fluid in the middle. use tranny fluid.

you connect each end of the tube to a vacuume fitting on the engine. (petcock fitting on the ft intake 7 capped fitting on the rear intake)

run the petcock on 'prime'

vacuume will pull on both ends of the hose, but the one with the stronger 'pull' will pull it higher.

you want to adjust the synq rod on the carbs untill the fluid levels are EVEN. (that is what the yard (meter?) stick is for.

you aren't going for HIGHEST vacuume, just EVEN.

the changes to the synq rod should be very small, just tightening the locknut on the rod will change the synq a bit, so go easy!!!

it's common for the fluid to get sucked into the engine when you first start the bike. this is ok & won't hurt anything, but you'll get smoke out the exhaust.

I'd reccomend taking a couple of old pilot jets & shoving them in the ends of the hoses about 2". this will smooth out the pulses & make sucking the fluid in less likely.

also, pinching the hose when starting the bike then slowly releasing the pressure will allow you to control the fluid so that if it's heading for one end quickly, you can adjust the rod a bit to even it out, then once the fluid will stay in the tube, release the pressure & fine tune the synq.

DON'T REV THE ENGINE or you will suck the fluid in.

--Lucky

Phatjap

Thanks Lucky, your'e a star.
I kind of knew the princiapl of it, I just wanted some instructions too! Many thanks.

I've just knocked up a manometer as per your drawing. I'm going to give it a go soon, later today if I get a chance.

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

Phatjap

Right,
I've just converted my bike to run on ATF  :) bit smokey mind you!

After a number of goes I've made a clamp type affair, seems to work ok, but the liquid seems to froth pretty quickly even so, so accuracy isn't too good. I think I'll practice, but in theory it should be close.

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap