Need a Bay Area ROVer to help haul an '83 Vision

Started by VinceDee, September 10, 2006, 06:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VinceDee

I just bought a '83 parts bike in Sausalito, California, and I need somebody with a pickup truck to help haul it from Sausalito to Berkeley (about 22 miles). I'm supposed to move it by tonight (Sunday), but could do it tomorrow if necessary.

I could either offer something off the bike or some money for the help.

Check this website for my cell phone number:

http://www.sellingmycrap.com

VinceDee
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

VinceDee

UPDATE: I rented a truck and hauled the bike myself.

Surprisingly, I didn't hear from any ROVers in the Bay Area...am I the only one here? Bummer (and yet it also makes me feel special, being the only Visionary in the entire Bay Area  ;D)

Vince
Always ride as if all the car drivers are trying to kill you and make it look like an accident, because some of them are.

Extent

Not the only one in the BA but unless you think you could fit a vision in the back of a civic there's not much I could do for ya :p
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Night Vision

I was going to help, but the 6,000 mile trip would have killed your budget. plus I would have wanted the shock, risers and rearsets.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

stephenn

Didn't see your message, but I was busy Sunday working on my own bike...
It's been sitting in my in-law's garage for a few years (after getting married, moving,
laying it down, having a kid, graduating, and moving again).

Anyway, I've been little by little fixing what needed it after laying it down and
reading here to figure out what needs to get fixed after sitting for so long.
I was eyeing the recent craigslist parts bikes, but decided that it was too far
to drag them down to San Jose. I assume that was the one you bought?

Steve

Brian Moffet

glennw

Hey Vince...
Are you coming on the V run?
Glad you got you new 83 home..
PS, I have a nice trailer, but I'm 350 miles south of you.
GlennW
Half Mad Max

VinceDee

Night Vision: only 6,000 miles? bahh, that ain't nuthin...wimp  ;) ;D

Glad to know I'm not alone in the Bay Area. stephenn, Vision Rising, you guys going on the CROV run?

GlennW, I'm really trying hard to get there...it would be fun to meet up with the gang. I just gotta see if I can get the '83 up and about well enough to make the trip. I'm guessing that I'll just end up taking the '82...it's in far better shape and better suited to a long ride, anyway. If we have a new (used) pickup truck by then I might bring one of the bikes most of the way up and ride from there...I don't have the ironbutt that I used to have  :-\

Vince

Brian Moffet

Quote from: VinceDee on September 12, 2006, 12:42:06 PM
Vision Rising, you guys going on the CROV run?

Uh, no.  The last CROV run took my Vision out.  See my .sig.

Night Vision

Quote from: VinceDee on September 12, 2006, 12:42:06 PM

If we have a new (used) pickup truck by then I might bring one of the bikes most of the way up and ride from there...I don't have the ironbutt that I used to have  :-\

wimpy butted Vince

;D ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

I believe the condition is called "Diminished Gluteal Syndrome".  You might get in touch with a Mr. Hank Hill in Arlen, TX to find out more about getting some prosthetic cheeks.   ;D

I, wanted to help move your bike, too but my truck & I are about 1400 miles each way away from being convenient.  Since you had to move it that night or the next day at the latest, I didn't think I could get there in time.  Besides, with gas @ the current prices, the 13 MPG I get in it would have made for a very expensive "trip across town".  Glad you got it home.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

stephenn

I'd like to go on the CROV ride, but it would have to be really downhill at the moment... :)

Anybody recommend the Gel batteries over the good 'ol fill it yerself types?

h2olawyer

I currently have an Interstate sealed, maintenance free battery - not a gel cell.  It has been going great for 2+ years so far.  I hook it up to a Battery Tender Jr. whenever it's parked.  This battery should last many years.  Nearly any battery will work well & last quite a while if you keep it charged when you aren't riding.  Buy what you can justify spending.  Prices range from around $30 to over $100 for the right size battery for the Vision.  If you can swing the gel cell, go for it.

When I was buying cheap batteries every year, I didn't know about the Battery Tender & its ability to greatly extend the life of all batteries.  Others have had several years use from cheap batteries (Wal-Mart, etc.) when using a Battery Tender.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

darkvision

Hi Vince,
Sorry I couldn't help you out. I didn't read this until too late.  I don't have a pickup anymore but instead use a 5'x8' one-ton utility trailer that  I use for my occasional hauling needs. I live in Livermore but went to high school and college in Berkeley. My mom still lives there so I'm there on a regular basis.
I'll be attending my first CROV ride on 9/23 and look forward to seeing you there.
take care, Darkvision