News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Now that I think about it.....

Started by GT @ oh., September 14, 2006, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

Hey guys was just remembering something that I had problems with. The bike would start to shake badly about 80+mph. Is this the tapered bearing fix that I've been reading about? Or does the soft frontforks contribute to this? Could it just need tightening? Please give oil recomendations to stiffen forks + bearing swaps if you think that will help?Of all the things I've read here the bearing swap and clutch bolts scare me the most(as far as trying to do them myself),or am I way off?    Thanks you guys                                                                                                                                                         Greg                                                                             

Superfly

Tapered roller berrings are the way to go.  And unless you have rebuilt the forks, you might want to assume that the seals/oil might be 24+ years old.  If you are really feeling good, progressive springs in the forks, new fork seals, tapered roller berrings, fork brace and a double check on the tire/wheel berrings/balancing.  Sounds like alot, but it really is not.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

don_vanecek

Well this is still a puzzling occasional problem. I have done the bearings, fork seals, new tire, balanced. Thought I had it solved, get to 80 it's still there. Tighten the bearings to the point where I had to loosen them up a little, seemed like it was solved. Went two months, even took a long trip, passed some cars about two weeks ago, go over 80, its back-but the shake did not seem to be-hard to think of how to put this-it didn't seem as fast back and forth as before-but still there. Got home, tightened them up just a small amount-but I needed a fair amount of leverage even to do that-but I haven't been to 80 or more since then so I don't know if its still there are not. I haven't done springs or fork brace yet. Drove the bike up to 100 a time a two the first couple years I had it. What is it with 80+ that brings this on-my bike is rock steady up to that point. I've told my son-in-law just don't plan to go over 80 on the V, can't seem to trust it. 

Night Vision

try taking the wind jammer off and see if it still does it.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Your tapered bearings could be still seating, causing them to get a little loose over time.  I've also read from another post here (either jason or QBS - i think) that worn swingarm bearings can cause oscillation at higher speeds as well.

Now I'll have to say it - why are you breaking the law by going so fast anyway?   ;)
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Oh your lawyer mind you, you have our confession in print, lets see I wonder who wrote this confession awhile ago....

After getting over the pass, and heading down into North Park, the road flattens & straightens out.  I haven't ridden an extended peroid at the speed we maintained  (quite a bit over the posted 65 MPH) for the last 20 miles into Walden in a long time. 

Ummmm......quite a bit..uhhhh.

don_vanecek

In all seriousness, I rarely travel that fast, only when passing do I ever find the V going to that point-but about the time you get up to that point your still not quite around that car or truck yet and its not too enjoyable to have the bike start to shake!  Boy I would hate to take my Vetter off-but who knows if that may trigger it???

Also with 75 mph speed limits, I don't then have much leeway before the shakes may start (although highway 6 out to Colorado in June of 07 would be a nice drive!).

GT @ oh.

I've not gone that fast on her in awhile but I'm sure I will want to again at some point in time (to safely enter traffic on express way) yeah thats it:)......but officer I.........                        I'm still waiting for suggetions

Night Vision

Quote from: don_vanecek on September 14, 2006, 02:45:07 PM
Boy I would hate to take my Vetter off-but who knows if that may trigger it???

Don - would be easier than pulling the swingarm... if you can detach without much fuss, try it.. then you could elminate one possibilty and it wouldn't cost anything.

Quote from: GT @ oh. on September 14, 2006, 03:23:27 PM
                      I'm still waiting for suggetions

GT@oh. - Superfly already gave the best suggestions.... roller bearings, fork seals, balance....
depending how much you like your Vision and how serious you are about keepin it, go for the springs and fork brace (if you can find one) later on when you can

oh yeah, if your Vision has sat for awhile, check for flat spots on the tires.... might want some new shoes.

dang I need to read better...

fork oil- try 15 wt. fork oil
starter clutch and steering bearing installation? depends on your mechanical skills..... neither are that difficult
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A MANUAL and this forum of course  ;D

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Quote from: don_vanecek on September 14, 2006, 02:16:35 PM
Oh your lawyer mind you, you have our confession in print, lets see I wonder who wrote this confession awhile ago....

After getting over the pass, and heading down into North Park, the road flattens & straightens out.  I haven't ridden an extended peroid at the speed we maintained  (quite a bit over the posted 65 MPH) for the last 20 miles into Walden in a long time. 

Ummmm......quite a bit..uhhhh.

I knew I'd said that but I also didn't give an exact speed . . .   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.