News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What Kind of Paint?

Started by beemerz28, September 14, 2006, 11:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beemerz28

Just wondering who has painted there V and what kind of paint you used. More specific on the gas tank so that gas wont strip it off the tank. I thought I got a paint that was "resistant to gas and oil" but today I went to fill up and the nozzle at the station sucked major duck bill and got on my new paint. It stripped it completely off. Any suggestions?

Superfly

On blackie, I used a dupont automotive style paint, with a 2 part dupont clearcoat.  It has held up well over the past 2 years.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

BikeNut

Automotive style paint like Superfly.  I don't remember what brand it was, but I had it done last spring and it looked awesome.  This spring the tank decided to leak...but the paint still looks good.  My spare tank is in the process of getting cut and welded, then that will get painted the same color.

Lucky

You want Enamal, not laquer!!! enamal will dry glossy & is tough, laquer you have to buff & it'll look a lot better, but it is soft & gas will eat it.  that's if your using spray bombs, having a body shop do it will give the best results.

--Lucky (who hates & sucks at bodywork)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

Dupont auto #99 enamal pitch black does not need a clear...it's a glossy black you won't believe...once you have sanded, buffed , etc.. You can clear it if you want. BUT if you have to touch up a real scratch. It's easier if there is no clear.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

tattooedtaz69

dupont is a good choice and basecoat clear coat helps hopefully if you get scratch it wont be so deep you need to touch it up...if you do its too deep anyhow may as well repaint it. Everyone has what works best for them but to keep gas from eating it automotive paint is best by far. I have Martin Senour paint on mine and gas dont even touch it.

Proteus

Check out this huge thread about a guy who painted his Charger with a can of Rust-Oleum, some mineral spirits and a foam roller for less than $50. Results are killer. Pictures to prove it. This has become a heavily followed thread on the Internet and many have tried the process with success. I plan to try it on an old Simplicity tractor I inherited and rebuilt last Summer.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

vavision

I'm going to try this. Looks like a lark.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

YellowJacket!

I got a gallon of yellow enamel, quart of hardener and a pint of reducer from www.paintforcars.com .  They included a few filtes, gloves , masks, a measuriing cup and some stirring sticks.  It was about $90.00 shipped.
I painted my bike myself using an air sprayer.  It came out ok, but I had to sand and touch up a few spots that ran.  I had never used an air sprayer before, so I used about an eigth of the gallon practicing on cardboard boxes.  BTW, anyone need some bright yellow cardboard boxes? ;D
Now that I have my new tank though, I may have it done in a paint shop.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

I took my new tank to a paint shop today just out of curiosity to see what it would cost to have it painted.
$350.00!! @#$%!!  and thats if I do the stripping!

I'm gonna do this one myself.  I'll be a bit more careful this time and patient too...

David

Lucky

Dave, shop around, i'm sure you can get a better price than that...

how about an airbrushed SeaBee, or perhaps a yellow tank with horizontal black stipes.. (bumblebee)

actually, i'm surprised the bikes not bright orange...(please don't, only Tigers allowed an orange bike)

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on October 13, 2006, 07:57:55 PM
actually, i'm surprised the bikes not bright orange...(please don't, only Tigers allowed an orange bike)

.......Grrrrrrrrrrr
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Tiger, EVERYTHING here is orange, like the key tag Dave sent you, Even the dirt is orange!!  an orange bike is like seeing a black Mustang, they are everywhere! Dave's bike is unusual & that's good.  you pulled off orange beautifly!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on October 14, 2006, 06:38:34 AM
Tiger, EVERYTHING here is orange, like the key tag Dave sent you, Even the dirt is orange!!  an orange bike is like seeing a black Mustang, they are everywhere! Dave's bike is unusual & that's good.  you pulled off orange beautifly!!!

Hey Tiger... I'll trade ya!  Your bike would make any Orange Blooded University of Tennessee football fan shed tears of joy.  East Tennessee is affectionately known as "Big Orange Country" and the Tennessee Volunteers or Vols for short are also called The Big Orange.
Orange is a way of life down here.  Lucky's right too...the dirt IS orange. ;D

David

Tiger

Hey Dave/Lucky,
Would be kinda neat to ride down to "Big Orange Country" one day and show off the "V"...never been that far south...YET....... ;)...Don't know what colour I'm going to do the "new" Vision... ???

???.......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on October 14, 2006, 06:08:29 PM
Hey Dave/Lucky,
Would be kinda neat to ride down to "Big Orange Country" one day and show off the "V"...never been that far south...YET....... ;)...Don't know what colour I'm going to do the "new" Vision... ???

???.......TIGER....... 8)

Make plans for next year for "The Fourth Saturday in October".  Thats when we play our long time rival The Alabama Crimson Tide.  This place becomes a Orange Flood.  Id tell you to come in mid September when we play the florida gators, but their color is orange too.  Don't want you to get confused for the wrong orange.  Of course, there is Clemson too but Tennessee Orange is like no other. ;D  ;D
Oh, and you're welcome to stay at my place. ;D

David

Tiger

:)...Dave,
Thanks for the invite... ;D You never know Dave, you never know..... ;D ;)... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)