News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

So I have decided on a new sprint replacement.

Started by zore, September 20, 2006, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

As everyone knows, my sprint ate it so now i need a replacement.  Looks like i've had the replacment for the last year, the vision.  The beauty about this bike is it's old and if something happens to it, oh well, more parts for the rest of you I guess.  So after giving it alot of thought, I think I'm going to end up wiht about 5000 to spend on a bike.

Plan A was to get a 2006 Sprint ST in red.  2.9% financing on the rest and they give you hard bags.  i was looking at about 10,400 on that.  Plan B was a Triumph 675.  8999 + all the other jazz that goes with it would make it about the same as the sprint in the end.  As you can tell, I really dig the triumph I3's.  Plan C was to get nothing and just ride the duc and the vision but I didn't much care for plan C.  I enjoy having 3 or more bikes in the garage but I've come to the reality that I hate making a 130-140 dollar payment every month.

So Plan D would be to get a Ducati 900ss.  Always liked these but the reality is, I  have something pretty darn close to it.  Then I was looking at maybe a ducati 748.  Easiesly the sexiest bike ever made, but I have a fear of ducati 4valve water cooled engines.

Then it hit me.  I have pretty much told myself I would never "buy" a japanese motorcycle.  I've always enjoyed having something a little bit different (the xz is a good example).  The 41k on my triumph has prooven to me that there are other "reliable" manufacturers and the insurance on a triumph is cheap, cheap, cheap.  But then i started looking thru and thats when I saw it.  2002 Honda RC51.  Vtwin, good handling, not overly heavy.  The ergo's suck but that can be changed.  The only downer is the fuel mileage which comes in at 35mpg on a good day.  Seeing as I'm used to 55-60 on my sprint, that's going to hurt.  However, I like the bike.  Most sport bike enthusiasts are into the big I4's so the RC51 is like the red headed step child.  Atleast that's the plan for the next 10 minutes.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

QBS

Don't kid yourself about the ease of changing this bikes ergonomics.  It is a hard core, purpose built repli-racer (with insurance rates to match).  Attempting to raise the hand grips will surely interfere with the fairing at full lock.  Have you considered a Kawasaki 650R?.  Very unique design, excellent ergonomics and great pricing (msrp $6200.00).  Designed for the comfortable long haul.  Do a Google search and read what owners are saying.  Cheers.

zore

I'm not looking for relaxed orgo's i guess. I've done the sport touring thing with sprint and the vision is plenty sport touring for me.  I really want a full on, hard core sport bike since I have never really owned one.  I have done the research as to what needs to happen to make it more commuter livable and there are lots of things available.  In the end, I still have the vision.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Next time you see a deer in the road, just speed up.  That bike's sharp enough to cut it in half!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Well you couldn't have picked a bike with a more distinct "get-the-fu*k-out-a-my-way" sound. Someone had one at the gap. When it started up....it turned heads! Looks aren't so bad either.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

glennw

I don't know how much they cost....
BUT.. I would wait for one of these....
I got a woody just thinking about this one.... ::)

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18september06_tiger.htm
Half Mad Max

Night Vision

yeah, I saw the new Tiger also and thought about Zore.

nice looking bike except for the beer can master cylinder  ??? ??? or is that a piss sample container?  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

I really like RC51's!

if you decided its a bit too sport for you there is always the superhawk, which is a great bike, and you could easily ge tone used for what your ins payoff will be, they sell pretty cheap used!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Brian Moffet

If I were to get a different bike, one more for local scooting around, it would probably be a Buell Blast (small, good gas mileage.)  If I were to get a touring bike, probably the Honda ST series.  I'd like a BMW K-series, but my budget is limited. 

Brian

Superfly

Great Choice! 
I am looking at CBR600RR's for my next bike.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

zore

If money was no object, I'd get teh R1200S or any of the other bikes i mentioned.  But an rc51 can be had for 5 to 7k in good shape
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

what about a 2002 Moto Guzzi LeMans? those seem to go for around 6 or 7. Definately fits the "little bit different" profile
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

The only guzzi i really like is the msg-01.  But i had thought of a guzzi before but with the story my friend tells me of his buddy from works trek across the us, no thanks.  It seems his new guzzi has broken down 3 times.  I think the odds of making it are better on a vision.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900