YICS Alternatives?

Started by Josh M, October 16, 2004, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh M

I've seen the article about fixing the stock YICS unit, I understand why it's there and how it works, but I don't like the peeling chrome plastic look.  Does anyone have any info on alternatives?  Also, what would be the benefits/downsides of removing it.
shiny shiny....

bikehandle

I was haveing the same problem with the peeling plastic and found a new one on e-bay. My bike runs better with it than with out so I keep it on. I would think it would not be that hard to fab one out of aluminum sheets that would replicate the flex of a plastic one and do away with a pain in the a-- or one less trouble!
Bikehandle ;)
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Lucky

I had one that was all peeling & cracked, I just coated the inside with some liquid 2 part epoxy, sanded down the outside (flaked off the loose chrome first) and painted it aluminum grey. it looked fine. I then had a nice looking stock one on my parts bike so that's what i'm using now.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

the chrome piece is just decoration used to mount the YICS module. Removing the actual YICS module does affect the way the bike runs. If you have a black bike, Removing the chrome and painting it gloss black would look nice.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

tremalzo

Hi Josh,

I had some problems getting idle speed of my vision right. After making a straight connection between both the cylinders with a 20 cm hose idle speed could be set easily. I still have to do something about the YICS box. As the egine runs fine this way, there seems to be no reason for immediate repair.

Frans