News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

YICS NO MORE!

Started by zore, October 04, 2006, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

I could not get my yikes to hold either till I cut a gasket for it like Lucky had said and used red rtv. I found JB weld too brittle to hold in the center where it tends to flex. I do know that my bike runs much better with it than with out. With the adjustments on the carbs all over the map with these bikes I can imagine some will run better while some see no diffrence.

Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Night Vision

Quote from: bikehandle on October 09, 2006, 05:10:26 PM
With the adjustments on the carbs all over the map with these bikes I can imagine some will run better while some see no diffrence.

I'll agree with that. My bike runs better with the yikes. I haven't found the "right fix" yet, and will probably try the gasket and red rtv next, as my jb job wasn't the final solution
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Dempsey

Well I went and done it too! After chasing my tail for the past week tearing into the "mistress" trying to find the idle issue as well as the stumble. My YICS is leaking internal as well as external. Now just a matter of tuning up the carb. It just never really ends... does it? ::)

Long story short ---R.I.P. YICS---- :P

Glyn

Better stll get rid of that terrible carb and at least 50% of the problems of the bike would be cured.

zore

Nics week I'm having  YICS burning party.  LIBERATION!!!!!
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

haunter

Quote from: Glyn on October 15, 2006, 06:40:59 AM
Better stll get rid of that terrible carb and at least 50% of the problems of the bike would be cured.

I'm super tempted to get a spare set of carbs for my FZR and split em to use on the V
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Dempsey

We can get together for a Yics burning Liberation fiesta. I'm down for some black smoke of my frustration.. Nice new wheels by the way Zore. I'll keep the carb. I'm just know getting to understand it. Once I get the mixture tuned I'll be good. Sounds like a jinx.. 

Lucky

Please don't burn/destroy/trash them, no matter how bad they are.  If you couldn't get them to seal, someone else may be in need of one & can seal them, just tuck them away, or send them out to us.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on October 15, 2006, 01:10:42 PM
Please don't burn/destroy/trash them, no matter how bad they are.  If you couldn't get them to seal, someone else may be in need of one & can seal them, just tuck them away, or send them out to us.

--Lucky

Good point Lucky.  Send it to me Zore and I'll fix it.  Burning it may anger the Vision Gremlins.
Can I paypal you some $ for shipping?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Dempsey

Settle down fellas I'm just venting. No Yics burning.. Whats weird is it looks like someone got into it. looks like someone tried to pry it with a screw driver or something. It's leaking from everywhere. I did some reading on Luckys site. I may try to seal it up this winter,time premitting  ::). Although she seems to be running much, much better w/out it. 

zore

I'm not sure why I would bother fixing it.  The dyno shows it does very little and I can't see any difference in how it runs with it sealed up and with it off.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Dempsey

Zore is the spokesperson for the "anti-YICS party". Down with YICS.  ;D ;D

Lucky

it's like unobtainium, only it's unexplanium.. personally, i can tell the difference easily. all else being equal, (meaning both our engines in exactly the same state of tune) i'll bet you could tell the difference. not picking on anyone, but on my bike i've adjusted the valves, updated the fuel system, exhaust, etc, etc ad-nausium... if the bike was 'just running' i doubt i could tell the difference either....

i'm at the point at my bike where i can tell the smallest changes in engine performance...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

On both my old vision and on my "new" '83 I notice a fairly big difference in the overall performance of my bike WITH the YICS hooked up and working.  It's definately possitive for me.  Of course, both of my visions (past and present) are/were running extremely well (well... the old one WAS, then I let it sit for a while)
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

h2olawyer

The old one is running again!  Still need to replace the stator, but I got it fired up yesterday.  After it was running, I remembered I still need to reattach the MACs.   ::)  I think I can still hear fairly well, but I haven't needed to listen closely to anything today.  May start talking like a Canadian, eh?  (lol)

I can tell the difference on my normal ride if the YICS is working right, leaking or plugged off.  I'll take the bike with a functioning YICS any day.  I agree with Lucky - not a large difference, but it is noticeable - provided you've got everything cleaned, synched & adjusted properly.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Glyn

Hey Haunter

Get yourself 2 carbs off a V Max I think they would be perfect for the Vision once re jetted. They are a downdraft CV carb from what I remember. I just couldn't find any for decent $$ when I did my carb conversion.

haunter

Quote from: Glyn on October 20, 2006, 03:35:52 PM
Hey Haunter

Get yourself 2 carbs off a V Max I think they would be perfect for the Vision once re jetted. They are a downdraft CV carb from what I remember. I just couldn't find any for decent $$ when I did my carb conversion.

I will takea look, how they sit is a big concern as well, but obviously you probably looked at that as well
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

QBS

I've often wondered if V Max carbs were a viable alternative.  Would be very intersesting to find out.

Glyn

Due to the lack of space between the vee I really think you need to mimic the original carb size/spec as much as possible. I tried Honda CB450 carbs on copper manifolds and there is just not enough space in there. The V is designed for a downdraft carb arrangement. The original dealer ads goes well into this. That's the reason I ended up with a Weber IDF carb. It is very similar to the Mikuni in action. The distance between the barrels and the mounting method is different so new manifolds are needed. Venturi's, jets etc all easily available and replaceable. The carb can be taken apart easily and mine has just sat for a year with gas in it with no ill effects. ie it is made of decent alloy. No YICS to worry about and no dipping/cleaning etc. I still think the Vee Max carbs would work well, since they are designed for a bike, while the IDF's were a common carb on VW beach buggy conversions in the 60's (I believe).
I'm no expert on this and others on the site prob know more about carb tuning. Mine works fine however. Stumble - what's that?

zore

Just an update.  After running out of gas with the 122.5 127.5 jets I brought the rear down to a 122.5 as well.  Reserve was coming on at about 150-160 or so and the rear cyl ran out o fuel much sooner than the front.  Now i'm at 175 miles and no reserve yet.  I think the 130's will work well up top for winter and 135's for summer.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900