News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

YICS NO MORE!

Started by zore, October 04, 2006, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well, I got all my carb stuff mostly sorted out.  122.5/135 front and 127.5/135 rear.  So I decided to play around with the YICS.  First I made sure it was sealed tight, let the bike warm up and went for a spin with the YICS on.  Smooth acceleration, power and smooth idle.  Capped off the YICS tubes and went for another ride and it just didn't feel the same.  Did not seem as powerful, had some stumble and idled high (2000rpm vs about 1300).
I would really like to do a "blind" test by not knowing if the YICS is on or off....I think I'll go bother Lucky.   :D
I'm also going to try syncing it again because my jets were all backwards.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

Last week I was tweeking my carb synching again and decided to remove the YICS to see how it ran. It doesn't make sense but I couldn't even get the bike started without it. Put it back in and it started back up. Fluke? Took it out after bike warmed up. No starty. Put it back, it fired right up. Whether it truly is a performance part or not my bike doesn't care. It likes that little piece-o-bling between the cyclinders.

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

stephenn

I'd think that in order to do the experiment, i figured you'd have to sync the carbs, adjust the pilots and idle...
Are you doing this or just capping off the ports?

Steve

Mutt

I connected the ports with one section of hose. It should at least turn over like it's going to start or idle baddly. It doesn't even sound like it's getting fire! It's just a wierd bike but then again it came from Michigan  :-X. Sorry PS2, I meant Detroit area.  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Brian Moffet

You don't want to connect the ports with a single hose unless there is a ball-bearing or something in the hose to block it off entirely.  The last thing you want is to have the 2 intake manifolds sharing a connection. Since they are not running at exactly the same time, you end up with a serious vacuum leak in your intake manifold that way.  When one is pulling, the other is not and they swap air pressure.

Try to just cap off the ports, don't connect them.  You could connect them but clamp the hose in the middle so there is not a leak.  The YICS does not have a single chamber in it, it has two separate chambers.

Brian

zore

I put little rubber nipples on the ends and put hose clamps on them to keep them from flying off incase of a back fire. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900