1983 550RK carb removal.

Started by BREWSKI, October 11, 2006, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BREWSKI

Looks To me that if you remove the throttle linkage,the carbs are held on by hoses and hose clamps,isthat all there is to removal besides fuel and vacuum lines? I have never seen a carb mounted in this fashion,im used to seeing carbs bolted on.Im a new 1983 vision owner so any input would be appreciated,thanks in advance...........Brewski
GEORGE BATES

Superfly

Yeah, the downdraft desing is quite different.  To get the 83 carbs out, unhook the throttle & choke cables, the lines going to the carb boots (I usually unhook them at the boot, easier to re-install them that way) unscrew the YICS canister, loosen the clamp screws on the carb boots, and then pull the carbs straight up.  Take the harness off of the support hooks, and pull the harness down a bit, and slide the carbs out there.  Hopefully that helps a bit.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

There is a trick to it, as SupahFliy (sorry, had to say it that way) mentioned, bend the tabs that hold the wire harness to the frame AND the coolant hoses on the other side, pull them out and up. they won't go far, but it's enough.

then to get the carbs out, move the rear carb up slightly, the ft carb left & down (you'll have to really squeeze the bottom of the ft carb over the ft intake boot) and wiggle it out the left side.  unless you like synqing your carbs, don't loosen the screws that hold the bars that join the carbs together, it's not nessecary.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

d0n

I've removed my 83 carbs twice now and found it easier to take off the fuel pump, pop the carbs up out of the rubber intake boots, remove the rubber intake boots (while holding the carb up) and then you have plenty of room to get the carbs out.

For me... I don't think it took longer this way because the amount of time I spent screwing around, trying to get the carbs out without removing the boots was rediculous!

I put the carbs back in the same way. Get them in position, hold em up with one hand and put the intake boots back on with the other hand, spray some wd40 on the rubber where the carbs slide into the boots. They'll pop in much easier.

Night Vision

Quote from: d0n on October 17, 2006, 08:56:22 PM
I've removed my 83 carbs twice now and found it easier to take off the fuel pump, pop the carbs up out of the rubber intake boots, remove the rubber intake boots (while holding the carb up) and then you have plenty of room to get the carbs out.

yep, except I don't take the fuel pump off (an 82 carb)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Don, if your removing the bar the pump mounts on (that connects the 2 carbs) with the pump, then your screwing up the synq every time.  just wiggle them out the left side.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

d0n

Nope, never taken off the sync bar... just the fuel pump and intake boots.

I put the carbs back in yesterday and I'm baffled how anyone can get the carbs in with the intake boots on. Even with them off it took me 10 mins of twisting, turning and swearing to get them into position. The little round vacuum pot attached to the front, throttle side of the carb is always in the way.  :-[